Re: [LatinChat-L] Invitatio recepta.

  • Liz Parkinson
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1 1:52 AM
      Salve

      My written Latin is awful, I am not even going to attempt it, I am a mature
      student too, learning Latin, specifically medieval Latin, in order to
      eventually do a PhD in medieval History

      In the class I attend, which is flexistudy, we all work at our own pace, we
      have a range of ages. The youngest student is a home educated boy of 13,
      who comes to the classes as his parents are unable to offer latin
      themselves. The oldest is in her 70s, but she is actually doing Russian.
      There are as many mature students as young students though. I am the only
      one doing Medieval work

      Liz in UK

      >I gather from your latin that you are guessing whether
      >or not I am a young man, and that it is possible to be
      >a senior student, too. Ita Vero, that is true!
      >
      >I am 36 annos/years old......so to some people, I am
      >old, to others I am middle aged, but I still feel
      >young.
      >
      >You are only as old as you feel. In my latin class,
      >there was a woman in her 60's studying.

    • Mario Calvillo
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1 2:40 PM
        Ave, Vaughan.
        Tuum responsum recepi et id multe placuit mihi. Ab eo percipio
        tuam magnam adsiduitatem ad latinam linguam studendam quia
        tu intelligis scripturam valde bene etsi solum sex menses in Auclandia
        Universitate studium fecisti.
        Salutatio tua ad me directa dicit "Salve, Maria,..." et ego non
        femina sed homo sum. Ideoque tua salutatio debet esse "Salve, Mari".
        Credo tuum progressum in latina lingua , postero anno, futurum esse
        maiorem. Hispana et Italica linguae erunt facilliores quia antea
        latinam studuisti.
        De tua aetate loquendo, mihi videtur te, de facto, esse juvenem et poteris
        adsequi tota quae designata habes circa studia legis romanae, civilis, poenalis,
        marisque.
        Ego praefero scrivere latine ut sentias pressionem certam ad latine cogitandi
        atque scrivendi.

        In fact, I can write also in English but, I think, it will not be of any help for you
        to use this language that you know since your childhood.

        Lo que sí creo que podrá ayudarte, cuando quieras, es escribir en español para
        que practiques.

        Anche posso scrivere in italiano e, così aiutare un po' con il tuo desiderio per
        imparare quest'altra lingua.

        Mihi placet conversationem habere tecum.
        Vale, Vaugham.

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 1 3:03 PM
          Errorem feci in paragrapho dicente: "Ego praefero..." debet esse
          "ad latine cogitandum atque scribendum". Tuam clementiam precor.

          My latin is very limited I only know a little bit, as
          I have only done one semester so far at the University
          of Auckland.

          Next year, I will study a lot more Latin, plus Spanish
          and Italian languages.

          I see that you are from Mexico. I presume you are
          fluent in both Spanish and English. I can speak a
          little bit of Castilian Spanish.

          Hola. Como estas? Yo hablo espanol un poco, un
          paquito.

          De donde eres en Mexico?

          I gather from your latin that you are guessing whether
          or not I am a young man, and that it is possible to be
          a senior student, too. Ita Vero, that is true!

          I am 36 annos/years old......so to some people, I am
          old, to others I am middle aged, but I still feel
          young.

          You are only as old as you feel. In my latin class,
          there was a woman in her 60's studying.

          OK . Back to a feeble attemt in Latin.

          Ita vero! Esse seniores studentes quoque. Cogito ego
          viri juvenum. Et tu?

          Studeo linguae Latinae et Hibernice et Italiance
          linguae quoque.Anglice est meum lingua materna.

          Lex Romano (Diritto Romano in Italiano, Derecho Romano
          in Hibernice) discipuli sum. Quiero una magister de
          lex Romano, una professore. Quoque, lex criminum, lex
          mare studeo .

          BA et lex civile degreeum habeo.

          (OK that was REALLY bad latin. Sorry! I will have to
          read Traupman's "Conversational Latin for Oral
          Proficiency " before I post here again).

          gratias tibi ago,

          vale,

          Vaughan.

          --- Mario Calvillo <ma44ri12us19c@ yahoo.com. mx> wrote:

          > Salve amice Vaughan,
          > Per verba tua te esse juvenem cogito etiamsi viri
          > seniores quoque studentes possunt esse.
          > Quod est quod studes?
          > Tuum responsum exspecto. Vale.

          ¡Sé un mejor fotógrafo!
          Perfecciona tu técnica y encuentra las mejores fotos.
          http://mx.yahoo. com/promos/ mejorfotografo. html

        • vaughan jackson
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 2 5:53 AM
            Salve Liz,
            I am studying a whole lot of things at
            once. Spoken Latin, Italian, Spanish and Russian;
            Roman/Civil law, Maritime law, Canon (Church) law and
            Criminal law; but what I am here for is to pracise and
            learn Latin, as I too am wanting to read Thomas
            Aquinas in the original latin.

            So I am a Medievalist too.

            If you have Facebook, there is a group there called
            "Medieval postgrad students who dont care about
            money", or something like that.

            Cheers,

            VAJ.
            --- Liz Parkinson <parkinsonliz@...> wrote:

            > Salve
            >
            > My written Latin is awful, I am not even going to
            > attempt it, I am a mature
            > student too, learning Latin, specifically medieval
            > Latin, in order to
            > eventually do a PhD in medieval History
            >
            > In the class I attend, which is flexistudy, we all
            > work at our own pace, we
            > have a range of ages. The youngest student is a
            > home educated boy of 13,
            > who comes to the classes as his parents are unable
            > to offer latin
            > themselves. The oldest is in her 70s, but she is
            > actually doing Russian.
            > There are as many mature students as young students
            > though. I am the only
            > one doing Medieval work
            >
            > Liz in UK
            >

            > >I gather from your latin that you are guessing
            > whether
            > >or not I am a young man, and that it is possible to
            > be
            > >a senior student, too. Ita Vero, that is true!
            > >
            > >I am 36 annos/years old......so to some people, I
            > am
            > >old, to others I am middle aged, but I still feel
            > >young.
            > >
            > >You are only as old as you feel. In my latin class,
            > >there was a woman in her 60's studying.

            > The next generation of Hotmail is here!
            > http://www.newhotmail.co.uk

          • ma44ri12us19c
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 5 12:50 PM
              --- In LatinChat-L@yahoogroups.com, "Liz Parkinson"
              <parkinsonliz@...> wrote:

              > Salve
              >
              > My written Latin is awful, I am not even going to attempt it, I am
              a mature
              > student too, learning Latin, specifically medieval Latin, in order
              > eventually do a PhD in medieval History
              >
              > In the class I attend, which is flexistudy, we all work at our own
              pace, we
              > have a range of ages. The youngest student is a home educated boy
              of 13,
              > who comes to the classes as his parents are unable to offer latin
              > themselves. The oldest is in her 70s, but she is actually doing
              Russian.
              > There are as many mature students as young students though. I am
              the only
              > one doing Medieval work
              >
              > Liz in UK
              >

              > >I gather from your latin that you are guessing whether
              > >or not I am a young man, and that it is possible to be
              > >a senior student, too. Ita Vero, that is true!
              > >
              > >I am 36 annos/years old......so to some people, I am
              > >old, to others I am middle aged, but I still feel
              > >young.
              > >
              > >You are only as old as you feel. In my latin class,
              > >there was a woman in her 60's studying.

              Mea scriptura latina quoque horribilis est, ego autem scribo
              ad in ea practicam adquirendam, sine timore a magistris esse
              correctus.
              Deinde te invitationem extendo ad hanc viam percurrendam simul
              euntes atqui adjuvantes.
              Tuum responsum exspecto.
              Vale.