Hans Orberg's LINGVA LATINA

  • Rev. Larry Beane
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3, 2007
      Does anyone have any practical experience with Hans Orberg's *Lingua
      Latina*text?

      I have been using *Latina Christiana* for my 6th, 7th, and 8th graders for a
      couple years now. While it's a fine text (especially for younger kids) I
      find that the cognitive abilities of junior high kids simply makes LC too
      dry and boring. This summer, I taught 7 students who failed Latin from my
      three grades - and I had 5 of them (the 7th and 8th graders) go through the
      first two chapters of Orberg - quite successfully! All of them heartily
      recommended changing over to this text. Even students who failed miserably
      were able to catch on quickly - of course, would they continue to do so, and
      would it work in a larger classroom is another story.

      If anyone has used LL to any degree at all, I'd love to hear from you for
      advice. If you'd like to contact be privately, please feel free to do so (
      larrybeane@...).

      Pax et Bonum!

      --
      Rev. Larry Beane
      Associate Pastor, Salem Lutheran Church

      Blog: www.fatherhollywood.blogspot.com
      Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/larrybeane/sets/

      "Have a nice day, and remember to press 1 for English."
      - Clyde N. Wilson

    • Liz Parkinson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3, 2007
        YOu dont say whether your students need to translate into Latin, or just
        from Latin to English. I only need to translate from Latin to English, and
        the tutor on the course I attend uses Cambridge Latin Course - it has
        stories, based on fact, for translation and comprehension exercises - as it
        goes further into the course there are excerpts from the classic writers,
        some simlified, some not. There are five books in the series, plus the
        teachers guides etc, and by the end of book 5 you are pretty much up to A
        level standard (I am in UK), assuming you have read the classic texts
        alongside it for the examinations.

        Of course, since you are teaching within a Christian setting, the Vulgate
        Bible is good. Depends whether you are aiming to get your students to be
        Classicists or Medievalists.

        Liz P

        >Does anyone have any practical experience with Hans Orberg's *Lingua
        >Latina*text?
        >
        >I have been using *Latina Christiana* for my 6th, 7th, and 8th graders for
        >couple years now. While it's a fine text (especially for younger kids) I
        >find that the cognitive abilities of junior high kids simply makes LC too
        >dry and boring. This summer, I taught 7 students who failed Latin from my
        >three grades - and I had 5 of them (the 7th and 8th graders) go through the
        >first two chapters of Orberg - quite successfully! All of them heartily
        >recommended changing over to this text. Even students who failed miserably
        >were able to catch on quickly - of course, would they continue to do so,
        >and
        >would it work in a larger classroom is another story.
        >
        >If anyone has used LL to any degree at all, I'd love to hear from you for
        >advice. If you'd like to contact be privately, please feel free to do so (
        >larrybeane@...).
        >
        >Pax et Bonum!
        >
        >--
        >Rev. Larry Beane
        >Associate Pastor, Salem Lutheran Church
        >Gretna, LA
        >
        >Blog: www.fatherhollywood.blogspot.com
        >Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/larrybeane/sets/
        >
        >"Have a nice day, and remember to press 1 for English."
        > - Clyde N. Wilson

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Óscar Vega Roldán
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 5, 2007
          Dear Rev. Beane:

          I donnot have any experience as a Latin teacher at all. As a matter of fact, I am not but an autodidact.

          I would like to tell you that in another yahoo group called Latiniando*, mostly attended by Spanish speaking people from several countries and different ages, we have adopted Orberg's Lingua Latina as our standard, with somewhat astonishing results, as it doesn't makes use of any other language as Latin itself..

          Some of our mates in Latiniando are high school teachers, and they have reported very good results when using this book.

          Perhaps the matter that the book story itself (Familia romana) is very appealing and interesting, as it manages common day life events, makes this book really successful.

          May you have the best results with your students.

          Oscar.

          *www.latiniando.es.mn and
          groups.yahoo.com/group/latiniando/

          "Rev. Larry Beane" <larrybeane@...> escribió:
[...]

          Ansgarius Mexicanus.

          Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto (Terencio).
          Amicus fidelis protectio fortis, qui autem invenit illum, thesaurum invenit. Amico fideli non est comparatio et nulla est ponderatio contra bonitatem illius (Sir. 6, 14-15).

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 5, 2007
            In A.D. MMVII, Feria III, a.d. v Nonas Iulias,
            In emissione electronica <604dd9420707031405m66670f0eg79b889287853357d@...>, "Rev. Larry Beane" <larrybeane@...> scripsit:

            > Does anyone have any practical experience with Hans Orberg's *Lingua
            >Latina*text?

            I am not a teacher, but I've enjoyed reading through (most of) "Lingua
            Latina".

            However a remarkable number of teachers seem to congregate on a mailing
            list dedicated to that text and method:

            It has been pretty quiet since school let out, but if you subscribe
            you can access the archives, or post questions to the list and stir up
            activity.

            Tom.
            --
            Thomas F. McGinnis mcginnis@...