Learning Latin

  • quismeamat
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 2, 2006
      Hi,

      I'm curious to learn latin. Can anyone reccomend a Self-taught Latin CD-
      rom program or a publisher for beginners?

      NJ
    • bellator_x
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 11, 2006
        Hi,
        I got a program a couple yrs ago (and just started using it about
        a month ago). It's a very good program that can teach with step by
        step or total immersion options. Here's the address to the site I
        got it at. http://www.transparent.com/
        The program also has quizzes and games and you can take tests at the
        site. Hope this helps.

        Robert

        --- In LatinChat-L@yahoogroups.com, "quismeamat" <quismeamat@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm curious to learn latin. Can anyone reccomend a Self-taught
        Latin
        CD-
        > rom program or a publisher for beginners?
        >
        > NJ

      • Salvador Pérez
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 11, 2006
          See http://www.lingua-latina.dk/

          quismeamat <quismeamat@...> escribió:
          Hi,

          I'm curious to learn latin. Can anyone reccomend a Self-taught Latin CD-
          rom program or a publisher for beginners?

          NJ

          Graduate school education High school education Home school education Middle school education New york school education School education in california

          ---------------------------------

        • Krithika
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 14, 2006
            My name is Krithika and I am a class nine student in Kolkata , a
            city in India.I have been learning Latin for a few weeks now and my
            course is not at all interactive. The course consists of learning
            Latin in order to read the Bible , the only thing that we do is
            practise grammar.I do not really have difficulties in learning words
            for I speak french and Spanish fluently, but I find the endless
            conjugations frustrating. There are perhaps no other Latin teachers
            in my city so i want to supplement my course with some more
            interesting material Could anybody please recommend some books for
            absolute beginners? How should I try to learn Latin?
            Thank you,
            Krithika
          • flybyfrye@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 19, 2006
              Oxford Latin Course, part 1, (also buy the Teacher's Book) (also buy the
              audio tape)
              very enjoyable and very different from the approach you're taking now. Full
              of cartoons and fun story, but a very effective curriculum. Buy online from
              amazon.com or any online bookseller.

            • Rebecca Jessup
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 20, 2006
                Since you have access to the web, there are many, many websites that
                have to do with Latin, many are IN Latin. Here, for example, is a
                private blog conducted in Latin, currently following the World Cup:

                http://lingualatina.wordpress.com/

                This page contains many links, for Latin teachers and students, to
                sites about everything from Latin grammar to myths to much more:
                http://www.txclassics.org/links.htm

                Here is another site with many links, including some for beginning
                Latin students:
                http://tabney.com/pallasathene.html

                I hope this isn't overwhelming. There's a vast amount of material on
                the web for people interested in Latin and classics in general.

                Bonam fortunam!

                Rebecca Jessup
                Magistra Home School
                Latin Tutoring and Translating
                jessupr@...
                www.teachinglatin.com

                On Wednesday, June 14, 2006, at 03:43 AM, Krithika wrote:

                > My name is Krithika and I am a class nine student in Kolkata , a
                > city in India.I have been learning Latin for a few weeks now and my
                > course is not at all interactive. The course consists of learning
                > Latin in order to read the Bible , the only thing that we do is
                > practise grammar.I do not really have difficulties in learning words
                > for I speak french and Spanish fluently, but I find the endless
                > conjugations frustrating. There are perhaps no other Latin teachers
                > in my city so i want to supplement my course with some more
                > interesting material Could anybody please recommend some books for
                > absolute beginners? How should I try to learn Latin?
                > Thank you,
                > Krithika

              • Rusty Mason
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 20, 2006
                  Krithika,

                  We are using D'Ooge's Latin for Beginners book in my class. It's an
                  older book, pretty good. It not only teaches you Latin, this book
                  prepares you to read works by Julius Caesar -- you will have a great
                  foundation for reading your first real Latin text. Best of all, it's
                  free:

                  Latin for Beginners by Benjamin L. D'Ooge:
                  http://www.textkit.com/learn/ID/108/author_id/13/

                  Also, join the forum there at www.textkit.com. There are
                  knowledgable people there, many of whom speak several different
                  languages.

                  Rusticus

                  --- In LatinChat-L@yahoogroups.com, "Krithika" <chriphth@...> wrote:

                  > My name is Krithika and I am a class nine student in Kolkata , a
                  > city in India.I have been learning Latin for a few weeks now and my
                  > course is not at all interactive. The course consists of learning
                  > Latin in order to read the Bible , the only thing that we do is
                  > practise grammar.I do not really have difficulties in learning
                  words
                  > for I speak french and Spanish fluently, but I find the endless
                  > conjugations frustrating. There are perhaps no other Latin teachers
                  > in my city so i want to supplement my course with some more
                  > interesting material Could anybody please recommend some books for
                  > absolute beginners? How should I try to learn Latin?
                  > Thank you,
                  > Krithika

                • Liz Parkinson
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 20, 2006
                    I am using Cambridge latin, and find it excellent, I did GCSE, and am now
                    starting AS level, the books are very good, I also find Kennedy's latin
                    Primer helpful for grammar.

                    And Cambridge Latin has an excellent website. I am learning Latin because I
                    want to read medieval doucments. But have got quite into Classics as well

                    Liz in UK

                    > > My name is Krithika and I am a class nine student in Kolkata , a
                    > > city in India.I have been learning Latin for a few weeks now and my
                    > > course is not at all interactive. The course consists of learning
                    > > Latin in order to read the Bible , the only thing that we do is
                    > > practise grammar.I do not really have difficulties in learning
                    >words
                    > > for I speak french and Spanish fluently, but I find the endless
                    > > conjugations frustrating. There are perhaps no other Latin teachers
                    > > in my city so i want to supplement my course with some more
                    > > interesting material Could anybody please recommend some books for
                    > > absolute beginners? How should I try to learn Latin?
                    > > Thank you,
                    > > Krithika
                    > >

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Ernest Sjogren
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 20, 2006
                      Krithika,

                      > . . . some books for absolute beginners

                      You may like this, LINGUA LATINA PRO SE ILLUSTRATA, which teaches you Latin, using only Latin. There are some sample pages from the book online to look at. Quite a bit of good, easy reading. The material covered at first is so basic that it should not interfere with your textbook's method, but it provides good practice. CD's with the material recited and "interactive" exercises are offered, but I do not know how good they are, never having examined them.

                      http://www.lingua-latina.dk/index2.htm

                      Since you speak French you may also like this:

                      http://www.assimil.com/

                      Left-click on BIENVENUE (or WELCOME if you prefer)

                      Keep FRANCAISE as your Langue maternelle

                      Select LATIN as your Langue rechercheé

                      Keep Tous Produits as your ligne de produits

                      Left-click Validez votre choix.

                      Click on Le Latin sans peine.

                      . . . As you can see, the book with cassettes is rather costly but not excessively so. The book (French and Latin) alone is of course cheaper. The all-Latin recordings feature VERY French accents (odd diphthongs, glottal R's, no initial H) and the recording is a bit boomy at times, but there is a lot of Latin to listen to, arranged in a logical progression. Note that there is also an online "course"/access offered, one year of which costs about the same as the book and recordings.

                      There is easy recorded/printed Latin in the LatinNow program offered here (the readers' accents are variable):

                      http://www.transparent.com/languagepages/latin/latin.htm

                      Also the flashcard program (Before You Know It) they offer free as a demo ("Download Free Latin Software") is nice. Note that older versions of LatinNow can often be found used for less than $10 (at least in the U.S.). I don't recommend considering the LatinNow program until you are further along in your studies.

                      Treat any of this material as secondary, so that you do not ignore your course material.

                      There is some free online software for practicing conjugations and declension, but I do not know where it may be found. Perhaps someone else on the list can tell you.

                      Best of success with your studies.

                      EKS

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 20, 2006
                        --- Thank you for your help. I hope to buy it as soon as possible,
                        Thank you once more,
                        Krithika In LatinChat-L@yahoogroups.com, flybyfrye@... wrote:

                        > Oxford Latin Course, part 1, (also buy the Teacher's Book) (also
                        buy the
                        > audio tape)
                        > very enjoyable and very different from the approach you're taking
                        now. Full
                        > of cartoons and fun story, but a very effective curriculum. Buy
                        online from
                        > amazon.com or any online bookseller.

                      • M.O.
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 21, 2006
                          Marcus Albus Scotus,
                          Krithikae ceterisque sodalibus,
                          Salve

                          Forgive me for writing in English, I haven't time at
                          the moment to compose in Latin, and my understanding
                          of the forum rules is that it's OK when the subject,
                          at least, is Latin.

                          I recently tutored a young Latin student whose class
                          was using the Oxford book. I was very favorably
                          impressed with this book. It tells a fictional story
                          (made up by the editors) set in Roman Britain.
                          Normally I think it is better to read actual Roman
                          literature, but I thought the story in this book was
                          good. A student studying from this book will be well
                          prepared to go on to read Caesar's De Bello Gallico.
                          The milieu and vocabulary are similar, and the grammar
                          is straightforward, whereas in De Bello Gallico there
                          is an average about one sentence on every page that
                          involves unusual or complicated issues that have to be
                          explained in detail and can present a stumblingblock
                          to the beginning student who is still trying to master
                          the essentials.

                          My only complaint with this book is that sometimes it
                          defines the vocabulary words ONLY in the particular
                          sense in which the word happens to be used in the
                          story. I think it is better, and easier in the long
                          run, to learn the broad and the specific meanings at
                          the same time. So I would advise keeping a good Latin
                          dictionary to hand while reading the Oxford book. And
                          I would also recommend keeping Allen & Greenough to
                          hand for comparison on the grammatical lessons.

                          But I do think that this book is a good investment for
                          a beginning student.

                          --- Krithika <chriphth@...> wrote:

                          > --- Thank you for your help. I hope to buy it as
                          > soon as possible,
                          > Thank you once more,
                          > Krithika In LatinChat-L@yahoogroups.com,
                          > flybyfrye@... wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Oxford Latin Course, part 1, (also buy the
                          > Teacher's Book) (also
                          > buy the
                          > > audio tape)
                          > > very enjoyable and very different from the
                          > approach you're taking
                          > now. Full
                          > > of cartoons and fun story, but a very effective
                          > curriculum. Buy
                          > online from
                          > > amazon.com or any online bookseller.

                          > removed]

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • carolineroddis
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 1, 2008
                            Salvete,

                            I apologise if this is an unwelcome post, but I'm writing a
                            dissertation on Latin and the Internet and was wondering if anyone
                            would mind answering a few questions for me? It would really help my
                            research to know how the web has affected people's awareness and
                            knowledge of Latin.

                            Questions: (Feel free to PM me the answers if you don't want to post
                            them on the board)

                            1. Where did you first encounter Latin? Was it at school or the Internet?

                            2. Would you be able to study/speak/learn about Latin without the aid
                            of the Internet?

                            3. How helpful have A) the Internet
                            and B) other forms of technology (i.e. audio CDs)
                            been to your knowledge and understanding of the language?

                            4. Is there a case to be made for the idea that Latin is not a 'dead'
                            language?

                            Anything else that you can think of that might aid my research would
                            also be sincerely appreciated!
                            Many thanks for reading this post,
                            gratias ago.

                            Caroline
                          • Jack Young
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 2, 2008
                              Morning Caorline,

                              I'm trying to learn Latin and have found several
                              websites that help a lot in the effort. Also, this
                              Yahoo Group has helped me some, but in all honesty, I
                              have not used the Yahoo Group as well as I should in
                              my efforts to learn Latin.

                              I will place a link of the site I use the most in
                              learning this language.

                              http://www.wheelockslatin.com/chapters/introduction/introduction.html

                              Be well in all things,

                              Aubrey Jack Young