Re: Gumpisms.

  • laser_jay
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 12, 2003
      --- In Lasertank@yahoogroups.com, "Suyono H. Yaphar" <suyonohy@d...>
      wrote:
      > Actually I'm not sure if anti-tank has an operator. If it doesn't,
      > the quote is:

      > "You should take advantage while the anti-tank's sensor to detect the
      > tank's existence across the crystal block is out of order."

      >> "Anti-tank operator recruitment must be more selective. Don't admit
      >> anymore those who can't see through crystal blocks."

      The newer (first) quote is probably closer to the anti-tank concept.
      But the older (second) quote is much funnier. And with the rotary
      mirror gumpism, all LaserTank concepts are now covered.

      Also, your English is very good, not marginal.

      Here are a few attempts at LaserTank Gumpisms:

      - Except sometimes on the first move, it is always safe to shoot a
      Solid Block. But that does not help you get a high score.
      - The best way to get a GHS is to solve a level that has been unsolved
      for at least two months.
      - It is often more efficient (less moves) to pull a block (via
      mirrors) toward you and under you rather than to push the block from
      behind or from its side, although this approach will usually take more
      shots.
      - Remember to click "Record Game" again when continuing a level from a
      paused "Playback Game" file.
      - If you use the automatic move completion feature to move to a
      distant ice square that is not in a straight line from you, there is a
      50% chance you will enter the ice from the wrong direction.
      - If you use the automatic move completion feature to move to a
      distant location and there are anti-tanks, there is a high probability
      that the chosen path will get you shot.
      - It takes more logic to determine what, when, and where to shoot than
      to determine where and the most efficient way to move. - I just had
      to get that in. :)
    • Suyono H. Yaphar
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 12, 2003
        Hi LaserTankers:

        I read laser_jay's Gumpisms. They are very thoughtful. I'm thirsty to hear more.

        I got some feedback directly to my mailbox. One asked for more. I don't have any idea, but I can select ten more quotes from Winston Groom's:

        “Being an idiot is a lot of fun when ain't anybody looking.”
        “Don't poke sticks at the monkeys.”
        “Honesty is the best policy unless you are a crook.”
        “If somebody says you have a problem with ignorance and apathy, just say, ‘I don't know, and I don't give a shit.’”
        “If you can't see the bottom, jump in, don't dive.”
        “If you got to pee, do not talk about it. Just do it. Might not be time later.”
        “Put Tabasco sauce on everything you eat: this way, you can eat very cheap.”
        “Rules are made to be followed, but there are exceptions to all rules -- and I am one of them.”
        “Some people, like me, are born idiots, but many more become stupider as they go along.”
        “You get into a fight, first thing you do is whang yourself over the head with a frying pan or something. Usually, your opponent will then run away, figuring that if you were willing to do that to yourself, then what were you fixing to do to him!”

        Some little corrections to the previous LT (two) quotes:

        “Don't shoot bricks with anti-tank's barrel behind them, unless you are on top of something.”

        “You should take advantage while the anti-tank's sensor to detect the tank's existence across the crystal blocks is out of order.”

        Some (eight) jokes in the LT world: (NEW)

        A teenager (a rightward anti-tank): Mom, that anti-tank across the tank mover asked me to marry him.
        Mother: What? Those leftward anti-tanks used to shoot our folks to death.

        Bridge: You said you would marry me.
        Movable block: Not anymore.

        Ice to Thin ice: What you really are, ice or water?

        Kid (an anti-tank): Dad, do we go to heaven when we die?
        Father: No! You become a solid block.

        Q: What will you get if you cross a movable block and a crystal block?
        A: A solid block.

        Q: What will you get if you cross a movable block and an anti-tank?
        A: A sinkable block.

        Q: What will you get if you cross Ice and Water?
        A: Thin ice.

        Tank mover to Water: If that moron (the tank) jumps onto me, I'll send it to you.

        I'm eager to hear more LT jokes from you.

        Bye,
        Suyono H. Yaphar