a quick poll

  • minisman202
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 23 9:28 AM
      Inspired by the April 23rd cartoon about "ancient" wargame magazines:

      We ask the question: How old is your oldest wargame magazine/periodical - by subscription or at least by regular purchase- ?

      Obviously you will be dating yourself with this question. Personally I have edition No.1 of Tradition Magazine - Jan/Feb 1964! and a Wargames Digest from July 1976 but those were purchased from others at swap tables. No, my subscription only starts at February 1979. Mind you, that is still over 30 years (!!) ago.

      So, boys and girls, how long have you been purchasing wargame publications?

      ...DH
    • mltryhstrn@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 23 12:05 PM
        Hi Doug,
        I looked around upstairs and found several things from the seventies -
        Avalon Hill General, Panzerfaust, and a Wargamers Digest. Just signed up for
        Social Security so I am feeling a bit older right now....
        Jerry

        In a message dated 4/23/2010 12:30:16 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        doug_hamm@... writes:

        Inspired by the April 23rd cartoon about "ancient" wargame magazines:

        We ask the question: How old is your oldest wargame magazine/periodical -
        by subscription or at least by regular purchase- ?

        Obviously you will be dating yourself with this question. Personally I
        have edition No.1 of Tradition Magazine - Jan/Feb 1964! and a Wargames Digest
        from July 1976 but those were purchased from others at swap tables. No,
        my subscription only starts at February 1979. Mind you, that is still over
        30 years (!!) ago.

        So, boys and girls, how long have you been purchasing wargame
        publications?

        ...DH

      • timothymyall1
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 23 1:39 PM
          For me, I have Pike and Shot Society mags that are so old they don't have a date. I THINK I started to subscribe in 1976 but there was a break (it was pay the rent or resubscribe at one time...)

          --- In LarryLeadhead@yahoogroups.com, mltryhstrn@... wrote:

          > Hi Doug,
          > I looked around upstairs and found several things from the seventies -
          > Avalon Hill General, Panzerfaust, and a Wargamers Digest. Just signed up for
          > Social Security so I am feeling a bit older right now....
          > Jerry
          >

          > In a message dated 4/23/2010 12:30:16 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          > doug_hamm@... writes:
          >
          > Inspired by the April 23rd cartoon about "ancient" wargame magazines:
          >
          > We ask the question: How old is your oldest wargame magazine/periodical -
          > by subscription or at least by regular purchase- ?
          >
          > Obviously you will be dating yourself with this question. Personally I
          > have edition No.1 of Tradition Magazine - Jan/Feb 1964! and a Wargames Digest
          > from July 1976 but those were purchased from others at swap tables. No,
          > my subscription only starts at February 1979. Mind you, that is still over
          > 30 years (!!) ago.
          >
          > So, boys and girls, how long have you been purchasing wargame
          > publications?
          >
          > ...DH

        • Eric Hotz
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 23 2:24 PM
            I was just thinking about that yesterday. There will soon be an
            influx of wargamers in retirement homes. Veterans of a different
            sort. I can just hear the stories being told at the retirement home:
            "I remember the day our drop ship was attacked over Rigel 6's third
            moon"... and the nurse responding by asking, "Did you take your
            little green pill this morning?".

            E.H.

            >Hi Doug,
            >I looked around upstairs and found several things from the seventies -
            >Avalon Hill General, Panzerfaust, and a Wargamers Digest. Just signed up for
            >Social Security so I am feeling a bit older right now....
            >Jerry
          • Doug Melville
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 23 5:53 PM
              I think my first ones were Airfix magazine in about 1972.... when i first
              encountered the concept of modifying Airfix figures with plasticene and the
              semi-mythical banana oil... This was well before any actual glossy wargames
              magazines, and when figures were toy-soldier (Hinton Hunt, Stadden etc...)
              or Hinchcliffe (characterful but occasionally anatomically grotesque) and
              Minifigs (dull and dumpy with big ar$ed horses and no movement).
              Interestingly, the Hinchcliffes have weathered better than their
              contemporaries.

              I still remember in about 1976, getting some of the Jacobite Miniatures
              Wurttemburgers in 15mm and being blown away at the quality.

              These young people nowadays... spoilt, you tell them about the brown
              envelopes and postal orders sent off in anicipation of a 12 man squadron of
              Scots Greys and they look at you like you crawled out of the primordial
              ooze...

              But long since gone... about 40 moves, three continents and 8 countries
              since then.... And can I heartily recommend to all Ol' Grognards, getting
              hold of a copy of Harry Pearson's "Achtung Schweinehund" - a wargaming
              odyssey and a cracking good read.

              cheers

              Doug

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 24 12:38 AM
                >How old is your oldest wargame magazine/periodical - by subscription or at least by regular purchase- ?

                I've got a Military Modelling from May 1971.

                My longest unbroken subscription would be to WD's Nugget, which started in 1980 anmd has never lapsed.

                Graham

              • william
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 24 4:12 PM
                  Issues #1 of both wargames illustrated and miniature wargames though I stopped getting them on a regular basis. The Courier starting with the 2nd volume. Didn't subscribe, but used to get Wargames Digest at the local hobby shop. Strategy and Tactics before issue 10,
                  regards
                  Bill

                  --- In LarryLeadhead@yahoogroups.com, "minisman202" <doug_hamm@...> wrote:

                  > Inspired by the April 23rd cartoon about "ancient" wargame magazines:
                  >
                  > We ask the question: How old is your oldest wargame magazine/periodical - by subscription or at least by regular purchase- ?
                  >
                  > Obviously you will be dating yourself with this question. Personally I have edition No.1 of Tradition Magazine - Jan/Feb 1964! and a Wargames Digest from July 1976 but those were purchased from others at swap tables. No, my subscription only starts at February 1979. Mind you, that is still over 30 years (!!) ago.
                  >
                  > So, boys and girls, how long have you been purchasing wargame publications?
                  >
                  > ...DH

                • Phil Wilson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 24 5:21 PM
                    February 1967 Airfix Magazine,Meccano Magazine from Sept 66-July 70 with the Charles Grant "Battle" articles(pays to be school librarian),every issue of Miniature Wargames,Issue 1 of Scale Models until Issue 1 of Military Modelling appeared,every issue of Battle Magazine are the main ones I can think of,along with all the short lived UK publications.
                    It wasn`t till I joined the Royal Engineers(aged 24)in 1978 that I got to visit London and saw for myself the amount of Wargaming Mags that were available,both British and American.I have managed to keep a decent selection and still bring them out to be re-read for the umpty millionth time-then I feel old.

                    Be seeing you,

                    Phil

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 25 6:51 AM
                      I started buying Wargames Digest in 1976.  I bought them individually from the local hobby store until I graduated from college, had a regular job, and could actually come up with the lump sum needed for a subscription.  I also bought the back issues I didn't already have.  I have a couple other magazines I picked up seccond hand that date back to the mid seventies.

                      David Edgington

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 25 5:35 PM
                        Well, I had the complete run of Wargamer's Digest, as long as it was about wargaming, and not rehashed military history,(Gene McCoy's, not Scruby"s); actually, I do have I think all three of Jack Scruby's Soldier Factory News quarterlies, the first I think is dated in 1975.  And a bunch of Featherstone's Wargamers' Newsletters, but I'm not going to go out in the garage right now and check the date.

                        Gary Richard
                        Damn, its flat here