Time from thought to purchase?

  • minisman202
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2008
      On average, how much time elapses between saying to yourself "Hey,
      what a cool period/idea/army!" to actually purchasing the required
      minis/terrain/books etc.? One to two days?.... two weeks?.... two
      hours??..two and a half minutes???

      Just asking :-)
      ...DH
    • Kevin Smyth
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2008
        I used to be really impulsive. However, as my lead pile has accumulated,
        and my willingness to take on new projects has evaporated, I'm a bit less
        interested in rushing out to buy the next new thing. These days it takes a
        couple well thought out weeks or even months to buy new figures. Books are
        a different story. So much is available online and there are some great
        deals on used books through Amazon and Abebooks that I'm more likely to
        break down in a couple of days of drooling. This week I ordered two books
        on widely different topics-a biography of the Black Prince, and a history of
        the Spanish in Louisiana (the latter a potential game topic, but I'm holding
        off on figures.)

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 5, 2008
          > On average, how much time elapses between saying to yourself "Hey,
          > what a cool period/idea/army!" to actually purchasing the required
          > minis/terrain/books etc.?

          This is a bit sad, but I got myself disciplined over this. I used to do this
          on impulse. Now I buy a year's worth of painting once a year at the same
          show.

          Consequently it can be anything from 11 months (!) to about two weeks (any
          less than two weeks and the order won't be in on time for collection.

          It does mean that quite a few things don't ever get done, as I lose interest
          before the show comes round.

          And I try not to go into the local model shop unless I really need
          something, or else I come out with boxes of Hat plastics for their latest
          ancient period.

          Graham
        • edgington52@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 5, 2008
            Actualy, it kind of depends. To a certain degree, inspiration and opportunity have to come together. I have some cavemen now. I'd known there were more or less appropriate figures out there for quite some time, but wasn't interested. Then one day, driving home from work in a blizzard, it struck me I could have cavemen roaming the valley a few miles south of my house, maps are easy to come by, I can walk or drive the ground. Two weeks later, raids on the gaming store in the big city and a local store resulted in two packages of Copplestone cavemen and a package of Reaper cavemen awaiting painting. This, or course, is a relatively small project: three bands of 15-20 figures plus some Ice Age critters. For larger projects, I try to exercise some restraint, and clear one of the older projects out of the way before starting the next. This can result in a delay of a year or two.

            My Greek vs Turk set up took much longer: I mean, who makes 18th Century Greeks? In this case, I read Fermor's book Mani, and photocopied the chapter on feuds and the description of clothing because it all sounded so cool, and did nothing with it for ten years. Back then, we lived in a much smaller town, and would make a shopping circuit of a couple other medium sized towns on Saturday every month or so. One Saturday, the first town had a nice book on the Mani, with a color print showing the way the locals dressed. The second had a hobby store, with something that looked very much like the Maniots. I didn't buy them that day, but a few weeks later, having reread descriptions, checked them against photos of the figures, revisited the book store, and decided while drriving between towns that this really would be an easy conversion (!), I revisited the hobby store and got my first packs of figures.

            I don't think waiting a little bit is a bad thing: too often I have an unsustainable bit of enthusiasm that passes. I used to drive down to southern New Mexico, through Glorieta Pass, a few miles east of Santa Fe. Every time, I'd think it would be really great to buy a bunch of 25mm American Civil War figures and do the battle there. By the time I'd reached Albuquerque, which had a couple gaming shops where I might have been able to buy a package of aCW figures, my thoughts had moved on to the next topic.

            A couple years ago, I started a list of all the armies I'd like to get to during my lifetime, having realized that was likely to be a finite period. Every so often, I revisit the list to add something I hadn't known I needed to do and to create a list of the Top Five, Which varies significantly from visit to visit. Some things (like the 25mm ACW) have never made it to the Top Five list; others, like the 35th Infantry Division in WWII, come and go. A few tend to be there every time--these wil probably be the ones I do next, unless I am stricken by some bizarre, technically inexplicable, inspiration.

            David

            From: "minisman202" <doug_hamm@...>
            > On average, how much time elapses between saying to yourself "Hey,
            > what a cool period/idea/army!" to actually purchasing the required
            > minis/terrain/books etc.? One to two days?.... two weeks?.... two
            > hours??..two and a half minutes???
            >
            > Just asking :-)
            > ...DH

          • Doug Melville
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 5, 2008
              two and a half minutes.. the internet is a dangerous thing.,.. and there is a Larry strip there: 'aren't you worried about all this time he spends online.. he could be meeting women or downloading porn?' ' No - the only thing I worry about is he just found a new period and the figures are available via a website."

              Doug M.