RE: [LaredoHales] Re: Hale-Milmo Nexus

  • Robert Garcia
    Message 1 of 133 , Aug 22, 2008
      Roel,

      No I was born in Brownsville and grew up in Mcallen and later moved to Corpus Christi.  I went to High School in Corpus Christi.

      Thanks

      Robert

      To: LaredoHales@yahoogroups.com
      From: arpineda@...
      Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 04:08:25 -0700
      Subject: Re: [LaredoHales] Re: Hale-Milmo Nexus

      Robert,

      This is roel pineda son of rebecca cantu hale who is Lilia Hale's daugher'

      Hey Robert did you play basketball at united high school?

      Roel

      From: miatacraze@yahoo. com
      Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 21:43:31 -0700

      Robert,

      About 10 years ago I had exchanged emails with a young man by the last name of Milmo.  I think he was related to Laura Hickman Milmo I wonder if he is the same guy.  This guy was the one that referred me to Patricio Guerra O'hart which is also a Milmo.  He had infact emailed me a copy of their geneology atleast a rough draft of it.

      Robert where do you live?

      Laura

      From: pineda37@yahoo. com
      Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 16:23:08 -0700

      Hi Robert,

      Thanks for your email, and it's good to meet you.  I'm also glad to hear that you're meeting a Milmo with an interest in our history.  With respect to the website you mentioned, it's definitely an interesting account of the Milmos.

      But, if you're going to meet with Alberto Milmo, I'd suggest taking a few documents with you in addition to mentioning our family stories about the Hale-Milmo connection.  In brief, I think most Hale descendants agree that they've heard that Thomas Robert Hale (the progenitor of the Laredo Hales) was raised for some time in the Milmo household in Monterrey before he left or was kicked out, and made his way to Laredo.  Thomas Hale was born in 1856 in Monterrey and died in 1943 in Laredo.

      In addition, according to Thomas Hale's son, Fidel (by way of his descendants) , Thomas Hale's mother was a Milmo, and her name may have been Sarah Milmo.  Patricio Milmo had a daughter named Sarah Milmo, but she would have been too young to be Thomas Hale's mother, so perhaps there was another Sarah Milmo.

      There is also a family story, according to Santiago Hale's descendants, that Thomas Hale was kicked out of Patricio Milmo's household as a teenager because he was caught fooling around with one of the Milmo daughters.  Some have even said they heard stories that a baby may have been born as a result.

      Lastly, it's likely that Thomas Robert Hale's father was named James Hale, given how common the name "James" or Santiago" is among his descendants.  I mention these stories because they strongly suggest that the Hales and Milmos were related: almost all, if not all, Hale descendants have heard these stories or some variation from their parents, grandparents, etc.  So it's likely there's truth in them -- we just need to verify them.

      Here's a brief description of the documents that I think you should bring (all are attached).  Note that, although we're looking for documentation! on the Hale-Milmo connection, we have at least one document (see below) that specifically mentions such a connection.

      --Thomas Hale's 1874 marriage (mentions Monterrey as hometown)
      --Thomas Hale's 1943 death (mentions Monterrey as hometown)
      --1890 biography of Patricio Hale (mentions Hale cousins in Mexico)
      --Milmo family history (mentions rich uncle of Patricio Milmo in Mexico)
      --Milmo Bank history (mentions Patricio Milmo brought family from Ireland)

      Let us know what he says...we just want to know if they've heard similar stories or have other evidence of such a connection.  I look forward to hearing from you,

      Chris Pineda, MPP

      Message 133 of 133 , Aug 22, 2008
        Robert,

        Thanks for getting back to the group.  If you do talk to him again, and if it helps, let him know that I'd be willing to follow up on a source every now and then in Boston.  I have one year left of law school up there, and I've found all kinds of research on the Irish, given the area.  I also have access to most of the area libraries as a student.

        Let's hope he does come across something that can shed some light on our history.  I bet a few of us could be considered experts on the life of Patricio Milmo given what we've learned while searching for our own past...

        Chris

        From: Robert Garcia <robmucho@hotmail. com>
        To: laredohales@ yahoogroups. com
        Date: Friday, August 22, 2008, 2:27 PM

        Hello All,

        The meeting went well, Laura he responded quickly to your questions both Sarah and Viduarri are buried on his Ranch which is Mesa de Cartujano.

        He was very interested in the documentation about his family that Chris provided.  He kept the paperwork so he could compare with his notes.

        The time i spent with him was mostly business between his company and the company I work for, he suggested that we should get together and go through his notes to see if he can find anything about the hale family.

        Thank you for the quick response and documents.  I will keep everyone updated.

        Thanks again

        Robert

        To: LaredoHales@ yahoogroups. com
        From: miatacraze@yahoo. com
        Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 16:07:33 -0700

        Hi Robert,

        Well,  questions that I would ask would be the names of the milmos from Patricio's generation and the generation before him.  What he knows about the Hale & O'conors.  Ask about the Sarah Maria that is buried at the Mesa de Cartujano that was supposively the girlfriend of Santiago Vidaurri.

        BTW it's good to meet you.

        you cousin,

        Laura Hale Nowotny

        To: LaredoHales@ yahoogroups. com
        From: ExaminerHale@ cs.com
        Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 03:02:45 +0000

        I will comntact judge robert oconer in hoiston and ask

        From: Chris Pineda <pineda37@yahoo. com>
        Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 19:55:45 -0700 (PDT)
        To: <LaredoHales@ yahoogroups. com>

        Laura, or anyone else

        See if you can get more details about your family's story -- specifically, the O'Connor figure and what Milmo Bank and where.  This is new to me.  Was this bank started by Patricio Milmo, or another pre-existing Milmo relative in Mexico?  How were the O'Connors related to the Hales, and are there any O'Connor descendants aware of this?  And if there are O'Connor descendants, where are there and what are there names?

        Chris

        From: Gary James Hale <ExaminerHale@ cs.com>
        Subject: [LaredoHales] Re: Hale-Milmo Nexus
        To: LaredoHales@ yahoogroups. com
        Date: Saturday, August 16, 2008, 3:36 PM

        Tomas Hale having a mother that was a Milmo - no, I had not heard
        that before.

        --- In LaredoHales@ yahoogroups. com, Chris Pineda <pineda37@.. .> wrote:

        > Gary,
        >
        > My grandmother, Rebeca Cantu Hale, also told me the story about how
        Tomas Hale may have been involved with a Milmo girl, likely one of
        Patricio Milmo's daughters.  This is supposedly what got him kicked
        out of Patricio Milmo's household, where he was being raised for some
        unknown reason.

        > However, if I'm not mistaken, Laura and Savina are talking about a
        different story--i.e. that Thomas Hale's mother was a Milmo,
        specifically named Sarah Milmo.  Has your Oscar Hale side of the
        family heard that story before?

        > Chris

        so