Dell Latitude Wireless Network Drivers

  • Ray Turri
    Message 1 of 1 , May 17, 2009
      I have an interesting story that I thought others might find helpful. Searching the Dell support site I found there are others with a problem similiar to the one I expereinced who got the same suggestion from Dell support that I got (download their drivers), but it did not work.

      About a month ago my Grandson dropped his Dell Latitude C840 and wiped out the hard drive. Finding a new harddrive was no problem, nor was installing it. Since I did not have the original Dell media, I used the Microsoft Windows XP XP2 media for the install and that went without a glitch, BUT the drivers, well that's another story. After a fresh Win XP install, the modem, network card, and wireless card all failed to operate.

      The logical solution was to go to Dell support and download the drivers, which I did, but only the modem and network card installed, and the modem still would not work.

      My next approach was to go back to Dell support and get the original system disk and start from scratch. Dell support was good enough to send me the original media, but they said it was not their practice to send dirvers since they are available on-line for download.

      The original Dell media CD installed just fine, but it was no better. The modem, network card, and wireless network still would not work.

      What I did next led me to urika. I activated the fresh Win XP install (had to do it over the phone) and went to Microsoft's Windows XP update. After is scanned the laptop it found that there were three hardware updates for the machine. Yes, they were the same three I was having trouble with. I ran the install, and all problems solved. I never expected Microsoft would be the ones to resolve the problem, but they did!

      Thought this may be helpful to other that run into similar problems trying to use drivers downloaded from Dell.