blown power controller chip on dell c610

  • malkyron@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 18, 2009
      Hi, recieved a laptop from my friend which he had spilled tea on.
      after drying out and plugging in psu I noticed the green light the on psu went out, so suspected short. I dismantled the laptop down to the motherboard and still same when plugged in, so after a bit of swearing managed to remove motherboared and strip off all metal parts for closer inspection. On inspection max1632 chip next to psu socket was blown which i later found out was the power controller ic. so i will replace it and see what happens, although not too confident with smd and was wondering if anyone had any tips and should i replace any other components as a rule of thumb.
      thnxs. will keep you informed of any progress.
    • John Peters
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 18, 2009
        You may want to also check the fets that are nearby that chip. Usually 8 pin smt device. single device in 8 pin package.