Reading Company 2124

  • Ken Houseal
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
      Hello All,

      I have posted in folder 20021001 what I consider the best image of
      the recent historical postings that I have been placing. Best viewed
      if downloaded and then opened, it is quite "jaggy" in the Yahoo
      window.

      This is an Iron Horse Ramble featuring the Reading's T1 2124 4-8-4.
      Northbound through Lansdale, Pennsylvania on the Reading's Bethlehem
      Branch. The date is marked as "The Sixties". This image was made from
      upstairs or on top of a building that stood where the New Century
      Plaza is today. This block of buildings that stood along Railroad
      Avenue, the street in the foreground, contained many businesses
      including the Lehigh Valley Transit's Lansdale station. Many
      landmarks in this image are now gone and replaced by modern
      businesses. Notably the large structure behind the catenary support,
      Schrey's Diner and the Tremont Hotel originally Heebner's
      Agricultural Works and the family mansion, are now the site of a CVS
      pharmacy. The Esso gas station behind the right catenary post faced
      Broad Street and is gone today. The garage to the right of it, you
      see the back of it, has been replaced with a major brand tire service
      center. The small parking lot between Schreys Diner and the railroad
      is part of CVS' lot. Behind the backed up traffic on Main Street is a
      block of buildings that included Dell's Pizza, a gift shop and Daub's
      Hardware. The buildings are still there but the businesses have
      changed with the times. Close examination of the traffic reveals a VW
      Beetle, a Microbus and importantly a Chevrolet Corvair first
      introduced in 1960. The Oldsmobile in the far right foreground may
      also be a 1960 model. I have to say due to the predominence of 1950's
      automobiles that this is the very early Sixties. Back to the
      railroad. The catenary support remains unchanged as does the
      gateman's tower (except for a coat of paint and an air conditioner).
      The siding and switch seen at the front were removed probably when
      Lansdale and the railroad rebuilt Main Street, Broad Street, Railroad
      Avenue and all the crossings in the mid-Sixties. The two main tracks
      in the foregrround remain though they are not nearly "main" to
      anywhere except CSX's local freights to Telford. The third track
      known as the "plug track" is still used as is the Doylestown Branch
      in the rear. The branch could easily be considered the "main line"
      today considering the heavy Septa traffic utilizing it daily. The
      star of the show of course is 2124 gleaming in shiny paint, silver
      trim and fying bright white "Extra" flags. Clean exhaust, a little
      generator steam and captured in a classic "rods down" pose, she
      drifts toward Main Street with two-tone green Reading passenger
      equipment. It would be a sight for sore eyes to witness this again
      today!

      Ken
    • Rick
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2002
        Ken,
        Great photo of 2124 and "Old" Lansdale. That switch in the foreground
        with its track of course led to Broad St., but it switched off again
        just north of Broad St. to be the Freight Station track, and the main
        part of it continued to the Stony Creek. My father told me that
        during World War II, the RDG spotted empty gons here next to Railroad
        Ave. and the towns
        folk filled them with rubber, tin cans and scrap for the war effort,
        their WW2 version of recycling. The Broad St. crossing used to have 5
        tracks: the two main, one freight station and one Stony Creek as
        mentioned above, and who can guess what the other one was that
        crossed Broad St.? And what was it used for? A little group
        participation, please. And how many can remember that Broad St. once
        controlled it's own crossing gates and had it's own gateman? And who
        can describe his building? Ken, can you donate a bag of Tritzels to
        the first one who answers correctly?
        Later, Rick

      • JOHN AND LUCIA ALMEIDA
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2002

          Fifth track - LVT?

           Rick wrote:

> [...]

          > Lansdale and the railroad rebuilt Main Street, Broad Street,
          Railroad
          > Avenue and all the crossings in the mid-Sixties. The two main
          tracks
          > in the foregrround remain though they are not nearly "main" to
          > anywhere except CSX's local freights to Telford. The third track
          > known as the "plug track" is still used as is the Doylestown Branch
          > in the rear. The branch could easily be considered the "main line"
          > today considering the heavy Septa traffic utilizing it daily. The
          > star of the show of course is 2124 gleaming in shiny paint, silver
          > trim and fying bright white "Extra" flags. Clean exhaust, a little
          > generator steam and captured in a classic "rods down" pose, she
          > drifts toward Main Street with two-tone green Reading passenger
          > equipment. It would be a sight for sore eyes to witness this again

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • Rick
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 3, 2002
            Good guess, but not correct. The LVT joined Broad St. at the end of
            Railroad Ave. and continued south in the center Broad St. to just
            south of Mt. Vernon Ave. where it crossed Broad St. to more or less
            parallel the Stony Creek for a mile or so, then dipped under the
            Stony Creek. Some good film of LVT in Lansdale on an Allentown NRHS
            VHS detailing the end of the Liberty Bell Limited. Don't know if they
            are still available.
            Thanks for your guess,
            Later, Rick

            --- In Lansdale_rails@y..., JOHN AND LUCIA ALMEIDA <jnlcubed@y...>
            wrote:

> [...]
            > > known as the "plug track" is still used as is the Doylestown
            Branch
            > > in the rear. The branch could easily be considered the "main
            line"
            > > today considering the heavy Septa traffic utilizing it daily. The
            > > star of the show of course is 2124 gleaming in shiny paint,
            silver
            > > trim and fying bright white "Extra" flags. Clean exhaust, a
            little
            > > generator steam and captured in a classic "rods down" pose, she
            > > drifts toward Main Street with two-tone green Reading passenger
            > > equipment. It would be a sight for sore eyes to witness this
            again
            > > today!
            > >
            > > Ken
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
            > var lrec_target="_top";var lrec_URL = new Array();lrec_URL[1]
            ="http://rd.yahoo.com/M=233351.2428261.3848243.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=1
            705044436:HM/A=1234046/R=0/id=flashurl/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/y
            h/grp/300_textF/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl";var
            lrec_flashfile="http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-
            /flash/expert_city/090302_lrec_text.swf";var
            lrec_altURL="http://rd.yahoo.com/M=233351.2428261.3848243.2225242/D=eg
            roupweb/S=1705044436:HM/A=1234046/R=1/id=altimgurl/*http://www.gotomyp
            c.com/u/tr/yh/grp/300_textF/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl";var
            lrec_altimg="http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-
            /flash/expert_city/090302_lrec_text.gif";var lrec_width=300;var
            lrec_height=250;

            Service.

          • Houseal Ken
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 3, 2002
              RE: [Lansdale] Re: Reading Company 2124

              I don't recall the five tracks at Broad. I'm sure they went in the 1966 street rebuilds. The through freight station track to Stony Creek explains why there was a dwarf signal displaying red on the outer freight station track where it connected to the SC Branch. That was there and lit until Conrail or Septa removed the freight sidings completly in the early Eighties. There was a switch tower for the interlocking where the signal relay shed marked "Dale" sits today but I don't recall the gate operator's structure.

               In the Seventies curiosity was killing me about how LVT got from the West side of the SC Branch to the East side between Hancock Street and Sumneytown Pike. None of the trolley publications or historical papers I had mentioned a crossing or bridge. I also didn't knew no anyone who had ridden the line towards Norristown. So I took a hike across the fields from Church Road and discovered a plate deck girder bridge on the SC Branch. It crosses over a low area and althought it appeared to be more of a stream bed than a rail line there in the mud were the ties still in perfect alignment remaining still from when they ripped up the tracks more than twenty five years previous. I did however know Warren Lafferty, owner of Lafferty Signs on North broad Street who had ridden North on the trolley. He recollected how several days before the abandonment of the LVT the Rotary Club met for a "Secret" field trip. They would do this a few times each year. This trip was notable in that the Rotary club had chartered an LVT car to Allentown for a brewery tour. He remembered the trip back to Lansdale as the fastest ride he ever had in a trolley. The operator pulled out all the stops and the passengers were all amazed that they weren't didn't die that night, expecting the car to leave the tracks at any moment. I often wondered just how many samples that motorman had while at the brewery.

              Rick, this question is for you. I recall seeing the Doylestown Branch in earlier pictures crossing Broad Street before connecting into the Northbound Bethlehem Branch track, is this the fifth track you refer to? Today it connects north of Broad Street.

              Ken

              wrote:

> [...]
              > > equipment. It would be a sight for sore eyes to witness this
              again
              > > today!
              > >
              > > Ken
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
              > var lrec_target="_top";var lrec_URL = new Array();lrec_URL[1]
              ="http://rd.yahoo.com/M=233351.2428261.3848243.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=1
              705044436:HM/A=1234046/R=0/id=flashurl/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/y
              h/grp/300_textF/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl";var
              lrec_flashfile="http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-
              /flash/expert_city/090302_lrec_text.swf";var
              lrec_altURL="http://rd.yahoo.com/M=233351.2428261.3848243.2225242/D=eg
              roupweb/S=1705044436:HM/A=1234046/R=1/id=altimgurl/*http://www.gotomyp
              c.com/u/tr/yh/grp/300_textF/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl";var
              lrec_altimg="http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-
              /flash/expert_city/090302_lrec_text.gif";var lrec_width=300;var

              Sell a Home for Top $
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/RrPZMC/jTmEAA/MVfIAA/UnOolB/TM

            • Rick
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 3, 2002
                The 5th track crossing Broad St. was the northern most one and ended
                at the "MA Tower". It came off the northbound main just before Broad
                St. and was, I believe, originally an industrial siding (for the
                Heebner Company?).
                Later, it was used for many years as the nightly resting place for
                the Lansdale yard engine. The "shifter", as we called it then, sat on
                this track for the night between "MA" and the Broad St. crossing gate
                shack. RDG probably felt more secure about the switcher here. The
                gate tender had a ground level shanty on the north side of this last
                track. It looked a little like the Lionel model. However, he didn't
                come out swinging a lantern. These gates seemed to operated by some
                kind of air pressure. The operator pumped a long, metal handle up and
                down to lower the gates. To raise them, he must have just released
                the pressure. He didn't seem to do any pumping after a train went by.
                The LVT line under the Stony Creek was at that particular point a
                double track section. Ken, do you remember seeing a double set of
                ties? The aforementioned VHS shows a LVT car going under the bridge
                on the double track line.

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              • Houseal Ken
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 3, 2002
                  RE: [Lansdale] Re: Reading Company 2124

                  Rick,

                  I'm going to have to drag out some old reference material, curiosity is kicking up again.

                  The Reading Company bridge was long enough to span two tracks but I can't say for sure that I saw two sets of ties. I remember a lot of weeds, water and mossy growth on the ties making me wonder at how they ever ran the cars through there. Sounds like an interesting movie that I'd love to see.

                  In the Seventies Conrail would leave the "switcher" ("shifter" was definatly a Reading term) usually a re-engined Alco RS3M in the freight yard near the passenger station. The Heebner siding was gone for sure. Later various combinations of SW-100 and SW-1500 engines worked the local. The cabooses left and CR GP-38s took over running pull-pull (one each end of the train). CSX still uses GP38-2s in a similar manner. The freight house had two sidings and in the Eighties a local sports car modification company leased the building at which time the open sheds were torn off for fear that they would collapse. Painted on the end of the shed was "Reading Company" "Freight Station". Once removed most of the Reading ancestry in Lansdale was erased.

                  By the way my can of Triztles are stale if not petrified!

                  Ken

> [...]

                  > "Secret" field trip. They would do this a few times each year. This
                  trip was
                  > notable in that the Rotary club had chartered an LVT car to
                  Allentown for a
                  > brewery tour. He remembered the trip back to Lansdale as the
                  fastest ride he
                  > ever had in a trolley. The operator pulled out all the stops and the
                  > passengers were all amazed that they weren't didn't die that night,
                  > expecting the car to leave the tracks at any moment. I often
                  wondered just
                  > how many samples that motorman had while at the brewery.

                  > Rick, this question is for you. I recall seeing the Doylestown
                  Branch in
                  > earlier pictures crossing Broad Street before connecting into the
                  Northbound
                  > Bethlehem Branch track, is this the fifth track you refer to? Today

                  Home Selling? Try Us!
                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/QrPZMC/iTmEAA/MVfIAA/UnOolB/TM

                • Rick
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 3, 2002
                    Ken,
                    The LVT had a steel plate deck girder bridge of their own over a
                    small gorge between Souderton and Hatfield. This span was built for
                    double track use. Only one side ever held tracks, though. Apparently
                    the original builders of the LVT Allentown-Norristown line had
                    intentions of a double track system where possible. The VHS tape of
                    the LVT may still be available if you contact
                    the Allentown branch of the NRHS.

                    http://www.nrhs.com/chapters/lehigh_valley.htm

                    Later, Rick