A station is reborn

  • JOHN AND LUCIA ALMEIDA
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2005
      The former Reading Company Train Station in Quakertown PA looks beautiful. All it needs now is a passenger train to service it .......

      Also, gotta love the track work just north of the station. I have seen this layout before, but only in HO scale. Just goes to show, there is a prototype for almost anything. :-D

      A follow up page later this week will feature some of the rolling stock hanging around the station.

      <http://www.trainweb.org/phillynrhs/RPOTW.html>

      John and Lucia Almeida
      jnlcubed@...
    • James Evans
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2005
        On 5/1/05, JOHN AND LUCIA ALMEIDA <jnlcubed@...> wrote:
        > The former Reading Company Train Station in Quakertown PA looks beautiful. All it
        >needs now is a passenger train to service it .......

        I grabbed some pics a few weeks ago and she looked about done. Thanks
        for the update.

        > Also, gotta love the track work just north of the station. I have seen this layout before,
        >but only in HO scale. Just goes to show, there is a prototype for
        almost anything. :-D

        I was told by Mr. Nolan that the EPRY had flipped the Reading
        installed crossover to face the opposite way in order to ease
        switching operations in Quakertown. You can see a picture here before
        the "runaround track" was installed:

        http://jrevans.fbody.com/cab_ride/north_of_313.jpg

        Sometime after this, the EPRY got heavily into the car storage
        business and had to put in the runaround track to access the former
        Northbound main up to the current end of track. Thus the reason for
        the cool trackwork:

        http://jrevans.fbody.com/Qtown_02212004/interesting_track.jpg

        They said that this is also the place where the original Quakertown &
        Eastern tracks veered off to the right. Another list member mentioned
        that at one time, both tracks were temporarily blocked in the late
        90's not too far North of this location. Track was removed and a berm
        was placed in the middle. Luckily, this obstruction was removed and
        now traffic is booming up there with the roofing plant (and soon to be
        from the new Shelly's lumber facility).

        > John and Lucia Almeida
        > jnlcubed@...

        JimE
      • Lon Godshall
        Message 3 of 3 , May 2, 2005
          Also of note, this week the steel will be going up at the new Shelley's facility.

          The siding is already built and in place.

          Lon