Philadelphia - all SEPTA Silverliner V cars in service by October

  • Edward
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 21, 2013
      SEPTA plans to have all 120 Silverliner V electric multiple-unit [eMU] cars in service by the end of October, The Philadelphia Inquirer reported Thursday. The order ultimately worth $330 million was placed with the Hyundai Rotem consortium in 2006. The company remains liable for penalty payments for late deliveries. The final Silverliner V was almost three years late. The Hyundai Rotem consortium will be building similar eMUs for Denver Regional Transportation District, which will open the first contemporary electrified commuter rail network west of Chicago.
      http://tinyurl.com/cl7dmo4
      "SEPTA completes lineup of new Silverliner V cars
      Paul Nussbaum, Inquirer Staff Writer

      (photo caption)
      File Photograph
      SEPTA plans to have all 120 Silverliner V railcars running by the end of October.

      (article)
      SEPTA received its last Silverliner V railcar on Wednesday, completing the long-delayed delivery of 120 new cars purchased in 2006 for $274 million.

      The total cost, including spare parts and associated training and management, is $330 million.

      Officials of SEPTA and the South Korean train-builder Hyundai Rotem celebrated the completion of the last car in a ceremony Wednesday morning at the South Philadelphia factory where the cars were assembled.

      The last railcar was nearly three years late, as production snags - including material delays, design flaws, labor-management disputes, and workmanship problems - put delivery far behind schedule.

      Hyundai Rotem is liable for penalties of $200 for each day that each of the first 104 cars was late.

      Penalties are not assessed for the final 16 cars, purchased under an option clause in the contract.

      With the new cars and its existing Silverliner IV cars, the transit agency will have a fleet of about 400 to carry passengers on its 13 Regional Rail lines.

      "This is a good day for the riders," said Matthew Mitchell, president of the Delaware Valley Association of Rail Passengers.

      "We commend SEPTA for their steadfastness in overseeing the project and insisting that the cars meet all the contract standards for quality and performance."

      Mitchell said the new cars accelerate faster and stop more quickly, with "more comfortable seating, better windows, and new passenger amenities."
      [end text]
      Another version of the Silverliner V order completion story was posted Wednesday evening by WPVI which said Hyundai Rotem workers at the company's South Philadelphia assembly plant now will be assembling non-powered commuter rail coaches for Boston MBTA, an order that also is behind schedule:
      http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=9035106
      "SEPTA Silverliner is made in the USA
      Updated at 06:37 PM today
      (Wednesday, March 20, 2913)
      John Rawlins
      Action News

      (video report)

      (article)
      PHILADELPHIA - March 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- SEPTA wants you to know the shiny, new Silverliner V is more than a train, it is an economic engine that has created local manufacturing jobs.

      True, the steel shells comes from Korea, but once at the Hyundai Rotem's South Philadelphia plant, workers fill them with Made in America, even made in the region, stuff.

      For example, part of the air conditioning system is from a Chester County firm, the communications gear for the engineer is from Montgomery County, and the million dollars worth of window glass is from Bucks County.

      The motors, air brakes, and couplers come from near Pittsburg.

      In all, 62% of the value of one railcar is from US made components and are assembled here.

      "It's the gift that keeps on giving for the region; they have 300 some employees here. They probably spin off another 1,000 in the region," SEPTA chairman Pasquale Deon said.

      The workforce at the Morton based UTC doubled because of Rotem business.

      They build wheel assemblies called bogies.

      After watching manufacturing giants like Budd and Westinghouse close their doors, these are good times.

      "I believe Hyundai Rotem is fulfilling that spot that Budd left; it's giving opportunity to the people in the city to employ people," Frank Ursone of the UTC Corporation said.

      So does all this come to a screeching halt now that SEPTA's build is finished?

      No.

      The railcar builder is in it for the long haul.

      Already it has orders from two other transit agencies and is looking for more.

      "Chicago, which is CTA, New York City's Long Island Railroad, there are some other projects on the horizon we are also after," Andrew Hyer of Hyundai Rotem USA said.

      After today's ceremony, workers were back on the job, assembling some of the 48 cars destined for Boston's MBTA.
      [end text]
      -----
      Edward B. Havens
      Tucson, Ariz.
    • Mark
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 21, 2013
        What are they gonna do with all that late fee money Hyundai owes?

        * Buy an extended 10year/100,000 mile warranty on the V's
        * Settle a contract with the BLE & UTU
        * Buy some replacements for the AEM-7's
        * Go shopping at LTEX for 6 or 7 used GP40's to replace the current white-elephant diesel fleet
        * Hire more transit cops and police dogs
        * Rebuild Paoli or Jenkintown Stations with more parking and new facilities
        * Rebuild the Silverliner IV's