Re: Article: NHSL extension to KOP

  • jimbeam237462
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2010
      Whatever happened to the 2 billion dollar Schuylkill Valley Metro project that was gonna extend electrified MU service to Reading, PA?

      No politician is going to stick his neck out for a pork project like that. They should have started small, maybe a half a billion and ran diesel / electric service out to Pottstown first. Doesn't Metro North have engines that switch from diesel to a contact wire? People wont want to change trains at Norristown.

      Whenever I used to commute on 422, the traffic never backed up past Collegeville. The Schuylkill Valley Metro could use all the existing infrastructure on the NS to Pottstown, fix up the parking and train stations at Pottstown, Phoenixville, Valley Forge, and Valley Forge Park. Then they just have to buy a couple engines that work with diesel & 12Kv catenary. Should be do-able with a $500 million price tag, right?

      If the service from Pottstown to Center City works well, then you reach out to Reading later on.

      --- In Lansdale_rails@yahoogroups.com, JOHN AND LUCIA ALMEIDA <jnlcubed@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > Ryan Jeroski, project manager with Greater Valley Forge Transportation Management Association, said rail service to the mall, First Avenue and Port Kennedy would be an economic boon to the local area.
      >
      > "It's a major priority for us," he said. "You're talking about a direct transit connection to the second biggest mall in the country."
      >
      > Jeroski said a $500,000 federal earmark would pay for the study, which would include new cost estimates for the project and ridership estimates.
      >
      > According to the 2008 Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission Long-Range Vision for Transit, the Norristown High Speed Line (formerly referred to as the R-100 High Speed Line), which runs between Upper Darby and Norristown, would construct a "spur" north of the Hughes Park train station that would run west along an existing rail line to a proposed King of Prussia Road stop, then turn north to a station to be constructed between King of Prussia Plaza and Court at King of Prussia.
      >
      > The mall rail line is among of list of projects DVRPC would like to see completed by 2035, Jeroski said.
      >
      > The King of Prussia Business Improvement District group also supports the rail line to the mall. According to the group's Web site, "For every $1 invested in public transportation, $6 will be returned in economic benefits to the region." As well, the organization believes mass transit expands the labor pool, job accessibility, employee reliability and cuts the requirement for parking spaces significantly.
      >
      > At a commissioners agenda meeting Tuesday, Montgomery County planner Leo Bagley said state Sen. Daylin Leach wants to meet with the commissioners and area officials to move ahead with the mall rail study.
      >
      > "We haven't seen any plans, but we think it would be good for jobs," said Zach Hoover, Leach's chief of staff.
      >
      > Also, Bagley said the R-6 Extension study for a rail line from Norristown along the Route 422 corridor to Berks County should be completed by the end of the year.
      >
      > "We're going to know in three months whether we have the money to extend service from Norristown to Reading," he said.
      >
      > In February 2009, Bagley said a "Cadillac" plan to provide electrified rail service between Wyomissing and Philadelphia's 30th Street Station, was cost an estimated $500,000, significantly less than previous $2 billion proposals for a Schuylkill Valley Metro.
      >
      > Also, proposals for rail service between Lansdale and Penn Ridge, near route 309 and 152, are under discussion. Bagley said the original plan has been scaled back.
      >
      > "We lopped off the whole Lansdale to Norristown piece," he said.
      >
      > Bagley believes the planned study for a rail spur to the mall would likely not get underway until 2011.

    • JOHN AND LUCIA ALMEIDA
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2010
        The SVM is dead. The new name is R6 Extension but without the 422 tolls (which just about every municipality involved is against), it probably won't go anywhere either.

        http://planning.montcopa.org/planning/cwp/view.asp?a=1677&q=67495

> [...]

        > "We're going to know in three months whether we have the money to extend service from Norristown to Reading," he said.
        >
        > In February 2009, Bagley said a "Cadillac" plan to provide electrified rail service between Wyomissing and Philadelphia's 30th Street Station, was cost an estimated $500,000, significantly less than previous $2 billion proposals for a Schuylkill Valley Metro.
        >
        > Also, proposals for rail service between Lansdale and Penn Ridge, near route 309 and 152, are under discussion. Bagley said the original plan has been scaled back.
        >
        > "We lopped off the whole Lansdale to Norristown piece," he said.
        >
        > Bagley believes the planned study for a rail spur to the mall would likely not get underway until 2011.

      • Ken Houseal
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2010
          Captain,
          That is way too rational! My son and I were just discussing the dual-mode diesels and the HARL last night.
          OBTW, you forgot Royersford.
          Ken

          To: Lansdale_rails@yahoogroups.com
          From: M.poserina@...
          Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 12:32:36 +0000

> [...]

          > "We're going to know in three months whether we have the money to extend service from Norristown to Reading," he said.
          >
          > In February 2009, Bagley said a "Cadillac" plan to provide electrified rail service between Wyomissing and Philadelphia's 30th Street Station, was cost an estimated $500,000, significantly less than previous $2 billion proposals for a Schuylkill Valley Metro.
          >
          > Also, proposals for rail service between Lansdale and Penn Ridge, near route 309 and 152, are under discussion. Bagley said the original plan has been scaled back.
          >
          > "We lopped off the whole Lansdale to Norristown piece," he said.
          >
          > Bagley believes the planned study for a rail spur to the mall would likely not get underway until 2011.

        • jimbeam237462
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2010
            Can't we get $500 million in Obama Dollars from Ray LaHood to build high speed rail on the R6 extension? We can make it 79mph track to Pottstown from Dekalb St Station. I Thought Obama and Rendell were tight buddies.

            --- In Lansdale_rails@yahoogroups.com, JOHN AND LUCIA ALMEIDA <jnlcubed@...> wrote:

            > The SVM is dead. The new name is R6 Extension but without the 422 tolls (which just about every municipality involved is against), it probably won't go anywhere either.
            >
            > http://planning.montcopa.org/planning/cwp/view.asp?a=1677&q=67495

          • benrussellpa
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 2010
              --- In Lansdale_rails@yahoogroups.com, "jimbeam237462" <M.poserina@...> wrote:

              > Whenever I used to commute on 422, the traffic never backed up past Collegeville. The Schuylkill Valley Metro could use all the existing infrastructure on the NS to Pottstown, fix up the parking and train stations at Pottstown, Phoenixville, Valley Forge, and Valley Forge Park. Then they just have to buy a couple engines that work with diesel & 12Kv catenary. Should be do-able with a $500 million price tag, right?

              My office is across from the NTC. I know several people who commute daily from Pottstown/Douglassville/Exeter areas.

              The drive just from Pottstown to Norristown can take an hour and a half on some days. They all want a train to be running yesterday. One guy in the office just took another job recently (after many years of working here) because the commute from southern Berks to Norristown was really wearing him out. Traffic congestion on 422 grows by leaps and bounds with the continued residential development in western Montco and SE Berks. I am often heading the other way (west to Reading area) for work in the summer and see the gridlock going east. Trust me, the back-ups go beyond Collegeville nowadays.
            • TrafficDan Miller
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 2, 2010
                Sadly this is nothing more than a pipe dream to all of us.