Re: [LanguagesAndMore] BLAGUE

  • John Belisle
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 1, 2004
      Truthful translations then after all.

      Man is a necessary function of the equationt  that allows procreation. And without his contribution  there would be nothing.

      I realise the reverse is also true but then we weren't discussing that were we?

      Paulo Salazar Porras <psalazar@...> wrote:

      yeah, great change to make it work... the only problem is that females are admiting they are nothing. That doesn't match the original joke

      Translating it would be:

      Some male students wrote:

      Hay mujeres sin hombres, son nada! (There are women without men, they're nothing)

      Some female studentes wrote:

      Ahí, mujeres sin hombres son nada… (There, women without men are nothing)

      And other pesimistic students wrote:

      Ay! Mujeres sin hombres son nada. (Oh, Women without men are nothing)

      さよなら。

      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 1, 2004

        What I mean is that in the original joke each group defended their gender not so in the translation.

[...]

        Best wishes,
        Iain
        Visit a fascinating site
        http://www.iains-images.co.uk

[...]

      • Josney Ribeiro
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 1, 2004
          Paulo,

          Sabías que tu apellido(porras) quiere decir una palabra fea en
          portugués, lo sabía? Es parecida con cuño.

          Josney

          --- In LanguagesAndMore@yahoogroups.com, Paulo Salazar Porras

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 1, 2004
            Then clearly it is an inaccurate translation.

            Is this because they inaccurately translated it or because they didn't understand the meaning of what they were translating.

            Surely it is one or the other.

            Unlikely that they are learners and that truly literally translated it word for word from a dictionary not understanding the meaning of the sentence that they are attempting to translate nor the words that they are using in the translation and so completely lost the point of the utterance.

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 2, 2004
              Claro que sí, hoy he hablado a mis compañeros de trabajo que se
              vuelveron a reír........

              <psalazar@j...> wrote:
              > Is that so????? Cuño!!!
              >
              > I didn't know...

              of Service.
            • Paulo Salazar Porras
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 2, 2004
                you should say... que se volvieron a reir....

                By the way, Que es cuño???

                <psalazar@j...> wrote:
                > Is that so?????      Cuño!!!
                >
                > I didn't know...

                of Service.

                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 3, 2004
                  Cierto, correcto, ellos se volvieron a reír............ Cuño : creo que es mejor no explicarlo de tan feo que es...................... Y ¿dónde tú eres? Porque de España o Argentina / Uruguay no lo eres , porque esa palabra es muy conocida en estas regiones..........