Re: [LAMI.US] An Argument Essay>>>Brittany

  • Joe
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2006
      I hope this helps. It is a humble opinion from a non-native speaker of
      English. I would really appreciate if you let me know what you think.

      Kind regards,

      Considering the excellent introduction and conclusion parragraphs of
      your essay, the central point of it is the convinience of making
      English the US national language.

      In the second parragraph the use of the modal "might" in: "...while
      their language is important, the English language might play a more
      significant role in the American society," seems to weaken your
      argumentation that the program English plus "...has the potential to
      encourage immigrants to finally learn English.". I would suggest a
      clearly factual style: "it plays a more significant role," for instance.

      In the fourth parragraph, the question "How can a language be racist?"
      seems to be irrelevant, and worse, disguising of the fact that it is
      the people who speak the language who can be racist; thus weakening
      your argumentation since you appear to be missing the point. After
      all, language cannot be racist by itself. This effect may be
      reinforced considering your statement, in the fifth parragraph:
      "...having English as the national language doesn't necessarily rebuke
      the use of other languages." I would suggest a stronger "....doesn't
      rebuke the use of other languages at all."

      The fifth and sixth parragraphs show less planification than the
      others and they do not reflect the same methodological neatness shown
      in the rest of the essay. The quote of President Wilson seems
      contradictory of your previous statement "If the US were to establish
      a national language, it would not be to disintegrate the cultures of
      incoming immigrants." Also, I don't clearly see why you stated some
      ideas about the illegal immigrants, and then even qualified them as
      "rash" yourself. In spite of their being arguable or not, some of them
      seem to be irrelevant to your central point. My suggestion is that
      they be deleted or worked on in order to make them fit fluently within
      the rest of the essay.

      Please understand, I am not saying you are wrong, I am suggesting
      these parragraphs be polished to clear what is seemingly contradictory
      or irrelevant. Your text is clearly persuasive, and the general format
      should be something like this.

      1. My opinion is this.

      2. My opinion is right because:
      a. Reason and explanation.
      b. Reason and explanation.
      .
      .
      n. Reason and explanation.
      3. Thus, my opinion is right.

      This pattern seems blurred between your fifth and sixth parragraphs.
      And I would say that the seventh parragraph seems to have been just
      added as a patch or something, because it does not follow any logical
      sequence within the rest, making it sound irrelevant. (Please, do not
      forget to add the dates and authors of your quotes.)

      Joe
      --- In LanguagesAndMore@yahoogroups.com, "Brittany Hart"
      <rhapsodizing.moments@...> wrote:

      > And, for the sake of making this paper better, do you have any suggested
      > opinions, rebukes, concessions, or other ideas to put into
      consideration?
      > The main idea of this argument paper was to show that a national
      language is
      > becoming necessary, so do you have any input i might use for this paper?
      >
      > On 5/30/06, joer@... <joer@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Let me begin saying that I do not usually interfere with posts of
      this
      > > sort, since they are not directly related to my country: Mexico.
      However,
      > > this post left an impression that I want to express.
      > >
      > > First, even though I still believe there are some other, more obscure,
      > > interests involved, you really made a point about the necessity
      for unity
      > > and the importance of a national language in this regards. I don't
      think I
      > > had heard anyone alse before that had convinced me like your essay.
      > >
      > > And second. Are you really SIXTEEN!!!???
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > >
      > > Joe
    • joniain
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 5, 2006

        From: "Brittany Hart"
        To: LanguagesAndMore@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [LAMI.US] An Argument Essay
        Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 09:13:51 -0600

        Interesting essay, once you realize that a sixteen year old wrote it.

                    Many Americans are becoming concerned with the flood of people migrating from Mexico and Latino countries.  In effort to control this swell of immigration, and to protect American culture, it has been proposed that the United States make English the national language.   However, the President of the United States and several minority groups don't want to make English the national language.   This clash of opinions is making the idea of an official language into a controversy that has the potential to segregate the United States to a point of civil war.  This is because if an official language is not established, the country will fall apart into several minority groups.   These groups might eventually want independence—a desire that could lead to civil war.  This issue could also lead to a civil war if English becomes the United States ' national language, because minorities might separate themselves from mainstream society and rebel, saying that it goes against their rights to restrict their language.   As an observing citizen of the United States , I think that one path may be more destructive than the other.  While I see the risk in it, it seems more sensible to make English the official language of the United States .

                    Although the President of the United States does not support making a national language, he has promoted the common use of English.   Recently, as part of a movement made by Latin- and Mexican-Americans, Latin pop stars made a Spanish-version of the U.S. national anthem, calling it "Our Anthem".   Shortly after the release of this song, President Bush said that the national anthem, "Star-Spangled Banner," should be sung only in English.   So, even though he doesn't want to make English the national language, he doesn't support making everything in the United States bilingual.  President George W. Bush also supports a program known as 'English-Plus'.   Alberto Gonzales, the United States ' Attorney General, explained "English-Plus" as a concept that encouraged English-speaking people to "be proficient in more than one language" (Whitcomb, 2006).   At first appearance, President Bush is encouraging English-speakers to learn Spanish.  However, by studying the title of the program English-Plus, it seems that Bush may also be encouraging the common use of English.   Of course, English is already a common language in the United States , but this program might be the first step in demonstrating to minorities that while their language is important, the English language might play a more significant role in American society.   By helping minorities and immigrants realize the importance of English in society around them, this concept of English-Plus has the potential to encourage immigrants to finally learn English.   This might be the first step in avoiding the segregation of minorities from mainstream society based on language and cultural difference.

        There are people who will say that if we create a national language, it will be a racist action against minorities.   But how can a language be racist?  English is a language spoken by all kinds of different races and cultures.   So I do not see this as a valid argument against making English the national language of the United States .

        Another reason that many people reject the idea of making English into the national language of the United States is that it violates their rights allowing for the freedom of speech.  These people argue that "speech in any language is still speech, and the decision to speak in another language is a decision involving speech alone" (First Amendment News, 1996).   However, having English as the national language doesn't necessarily rebuke the use of other languages.   If English were the national language, people wouldn't be arrested for knowing and using other languages.   There would of course be instances when foreign languages would be used.  For example, in medical emergencies, if people would more easily communicate in a language other than English, it would most likely be advised to speak in that other language.   In another instance, people might want to speak the language of their heritage in their homes, to teach the language to their children in order to keep the culture of their ancestors alive, appreciated, and celebrated in the hearts of their children.   This would be perfectly acceptable, if not encouraged.  The point in making English the official language of the United States would be to establish the need to know and understand language so that everyone could communicate and interact with each other without a language barrier or a translator.   If the United States were to establish a national language, it would not be to disintegrate the cultures of incoming immigrants.  This nation was built on the combination of cultures from various immigrants.   It has long been called the Melting Pot, known for assimilating the many immigrants and the cultures attached to them.  Assimilating isn't 'un-culturing'—it is adding culture.   It is reconstructing culture.   It is taking an old culture, and melding it around a new culture.  To assimilate into American society, you adopt American culture as your own while you celebrate the culture of your ancestors and respect your heritage.   The point in making a national language is to help immigrants assimilate into mainstream society.  An American national language would help people to see themselves as Americans, not as Mexican-Americans, not as Latin-Americans.   If we, as a country, see ourselves as plain Americans, we might not segregate.  In this way, the English language has the ability to encourage unification.   We can unify under one language, and under one culture that celebrates the heritage of all people.

        Currently, it is required for immigrants to learn English.  However, this requirement is not enforced on illegal immigrants.   Many politicians say while they would like to be able to teach English to all immigrants, it would be too difficult to find all of the illegals, let alone make them learn English.   Yet, on May First, or May Day 2006, Spanish-speaking minorities gathered in protest, to show their significance in the United States and to demand their rights.   Now, I was reading one of Bob Lonsberry's column when I ran across a section that made a very interesting point.   It said that this protest was a perfect opportunity to find illegal immigrants (Lonsberry, 2006).   I hadn't thought about that, but it was true.   In the huge masses that filled the streets during this day of protest, there were bound to be tons of illegal immigrants.  If the government really wanted to teach English to all immigrants, including the illegals, wouldn't it seem fit that they would ask the swelling masses of minorities for their green cards?   Anyone not providing a green card could be investigated.  If it turned out that they didn't understand English and were not yet legal citizens, the government could help them become legal and learn English.   If these people were illegal, didn't know English, and wouldn't cooperate enough to learn English, then the government could send them back over the border.   I don't mean to sound rash by suggesting to kick people out of our country.   I mean to make the point that most of the people against learning English do not support making English into a national language.   But these people shouldn't have any say in the affairs in this country, because odds are that they are not legal citizens.   In my opinion, illegal citizens have no rights in this country.   If they will not take the effort to become legal, to become American, they do not deserve the freedoms that the United States offer.   Part of the deal of moving to America is assimilating and becoming American.  It might be a challenge to assimilate and learn English, but that is part of becoming American.  In 1915, President Wilson addressed new citizens:

        And while you bring all countries with you, you come with a purpose of leaving all other countries behind you—bringing what is best of their spirit, but not looking over your shoulders and seeking to perpetuate what you intended to leave behind in them (Kirkland, 2005).

        President Wilson said exactly what I felt.  Immigrants should feel free to bring their cultural spirit to America , but they should be willing to 'leave behind' parts of their old countries.   They are in America now, and they should act like it.  Otherwise, they will segregate themselves and threaten civil war.

                    To give every child an opportunity for a good education, schools in the United States have set up bilingual education programs, where students can be taught in their native language.   However, while these programs benefit students greatly by allowing them to utilize their maximum effort in education, they also discourage assimilation.   The Washington Post editorial page said that "the bilingual education offered in most parts of the country does not promote English fluency…it seems likely that students would learn more English if they were immersed in it"(author, date).   These bilingual programs do not immerse the children in English.  "They allow the children to take home letters from schools and government agencies in their 'native' Spanish—even if their family has been in America for generations"(author, date).   This means that these programs make it easier for immigrants to function in daily life without ever needing to learn English.   Segregation through language is encouraged by these programs.   Segregation encourages civil war.

                    America needs a national language to unify the diverse cultures of this country of immigrants.  If we, as collective Americans, want to understand and relate to one another, wouldn't it seem fit to speak one language throughout the country?   Otherwise, we segregate ourselves based on our individual languages and the ignorance and misunderstanding that results from the inability to communicate with each other.  It is as Saul Bellow put it, the United States of America is "a melting pot, yes.   A tower of Babel , no."  America will blend cultures together, but it will not tolerate a country portrayed in a Bible story— America will not suffer her people to be mixed in a confusion of language, lest she should fall apart.

        --
        Brittany Hart

        WWW.LAMI.US NEWSLETTER ******************************************

        LAST UPDATED 25 FEBRUARY 2006
        ãÑÍÈÇ! (Hi!)

        Present someone you know with an invitation from you to join this our colloquial group!

        Enjoy Public or Private Chats
        http://chat.yahoo.com/?room=Cultures%20and%20Community%20Lobby::1600326610

        For practice and mutual benefit, post the 5 "Wh" (question) words in any languages for/with comments...
        English - Arabic
        Who - Min
        What - Maza
        When - Ma'ta
        Where - Ayna
        Why - Limaza
        and - wa
        How - Kiyfa

        Or, translate for FREE...!
        http://babel.altavista.com
        http://systransoft.com

        Post a message informing us where beginning language learners can hear free online audio of the Five "Wh" words in any language…

        Dictionary - Thesaurus
        http://www.m-w.com

        LANGUAGE-LEARNING SECTION

        CONTENTS:
        --> FEATURE: "OUR FUTURE LANGUAGE CENTER " INCLUDING BILINGUAL PRESCHOOL/AFTER SCHOOL ACADEMIC PROGRAM -
        --> Later Update:  TPR (Total Physical Response)

        SOON:  (How soon…?)

        Dearest Members,

        Soon, we may be able to get our LAMI.US fix in person with our very own personal language center probably with a bilingual preschool/after school program.

        I am very interested in opening up a small Language Center in the Southwest Detroit "Mexican Town" area (five minutes driving distance from Canada) where I hope you might travel and visit some day and share in diverse language learning.

        You could possibly even volunteer your services for a few minutes or longer by giving advice or by tutoring someone in your native language.

        Just how soon will we be able to get our LAMI.US fix in person…?  With your help, maybe, the sooner the better…

        I'll keep you posted!

        Muy atentamente,
        Sra. Lami ~ :)

        ~ http://LAMI.US

        Email Delivery - TO STOP RECEIVING INDIVIDUAL EMAILS:  Access [Edit My Membership] or, just email us a request to change your email delivery for you.

        Study abroad

        Spanish language and culture

        Exotic travel

        Language

        Language skill

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        --
        Brittany Hart

      • joniain
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 5, 2006

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 5, 2006

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 5, 2006

              Wow! Brittany Hart  are you angry and volatile or what?

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 6, 2006
                Just PMSing

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 6, 2006
                  PMS (Police Menstrual Syndrome)