Re: [LAMI.US] Bush Opposes Singing Anthem in Spanish

  • abdul ali faiq
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2006
      I am completely against the Anthem that should be only in English..It should be in other Language as well..!

      Faiq

      John Belisle <joniain@...> wrote:
      I ddid not expect to find myself in agreement with that man but I do believe that in both the Uely against the SA and the UK the National Anthem should be sung in the National Language of that counrty.

      Can anyone imaginge the French allowing their anthem to be sung in Senegalese or whatever?

      I am for harmony and integration not separation and dispersal.

      LanguagesAndMore Internet <languagesandmore@...> wrote:

      Bush Opposes Singing Anthem in Spanish

      By TERENCE HUNT, AP White House Correspondent Fri Apr 28, 6:06 PM ET
      WASHINGTON -

      President Bush talks to reporters on the economy in the Rose Garden of the White House in Washington Friday, April 28, 2006.  (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert)
      AP Photo: President Bush talks to reporters on the economy in the Rose Garden of the White...
      President Bush said Friday the national anthem should be sung in English � not Spanish � in a blunt rejection of a new Spanish-language version. He also expressed opposition to a national work stoppage called for Monday to dramatize the importance of immigrants to the U.S. economy.

      "I'm not a supporter of boycotts," Bush said, while restating his support for a comprehensive overhaul of immigration laws.

      Bush made his comments at a Rose Garden news conference as a Spanish-language version of "The Star-Spangled Banner," hit the airways featuring artists such as Wyclef Jean, hip-hop star Pitbull and Puerto Rican singers Carlos Ponce and Olga Tanon.
      Called "Nuestro Himno" � "Our Anthem" � the Spanish version rewrites some of the English version. For instance, the second stanza says, "My people keep fighting. It's time to break the chains."

      "I think people who want to be a citizen of this country ought to learn English and they ought to learn to sing the national anthem in English," Bush said.

      Monday's planned boycott and the emergence of a Spanish-language anthem are ingredients in a national debate over how to deal with an estimated 11 million illegal immigrants in the United States. It is an issue that has sent hundreds of thousands of protesters into the streets of major U.S. cities to demand the lowering of citizenship barriers. Congress is struggling to deal with the issue, and the House and Senate are moving on opposite tracks.

      "I understand how difficult this issue is for some people here in Washington and around the country," Bush said. His approach calls for a temporary guest worker program, tougher enforcement of laws against hiring illegal immigrants and stricter border controls.

      Acknowledging that it has become a highly charged topic, Bush said, "One of the things that's very important is when we debate this issue that we not lose our national soul."

      British music producer Adam Kidron, who came up with the idea of the Spanish anthem, said it was not intended to discourage immigrants from learning English or embracing American culture.

      "We instead view `Nuestro Himno' as a song that affords those immigrants that have not yet learned the English language the opportunity to fully understand the character of 'The Star-Spangled Banner,' the American flag and the ideals of freedom that they represent," Kidron said in a written statement.

      Sen. Lamar Alexander (news, bio, voting record), R-Tenn., said he would introduce a Senate resolution Monday "giving senators an opportunity to remind the country why we sing our national anthem in English." Noting that America is a nation of immigrants, Alexander said, "We are proud of the countries we have come from, but we are prouder to be Americans."

      Monday's protest is dubbed "A day Without Immigrants." Activists are urging immigrants across the United States to skip work, avoid spending money and march in the streets. But there are concerns that such protests will make immigrants look anti-American, annoy the public and alienate lawmakers in Washington
      Senate leaders, meanwhile, edged closer to an agreement that could clear the way for passage of broad immigration legislation.

      Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid told reporters he was dropping two demands that contributed to gridlock several weeks ago. He said he would no longer insist that conservative critics be limited to three chances to change the bill before it passes. And he said he would no longer try to dictate which Republicans are named to negotiate a final bill with the House.

      Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist has said he wants votes on 20 or more amendments, and that it is not up to Democrats to decide which Republicans are picked to bargain with the House. At the same time, he has been meeting privately with fellow Republicans this week to reduce the number of amendments.

      Reid made his comments three days after a White House meeting that was designed to impart fresh momentum in the drive for election-year legislation. Senators of both parties emerged from the session praising the president's involvement.

      Supporters of the Senate legislation claim roughly 70 votes for their bill. It includes provisions to strengthen the nation's borders, expand a guest worker program and give many of the nation's illegal immigrants an eventual opportunity to become citizens.
      Legislation passed by the Republican-controlled House last year is limited to border security, and makes illegal immigrants vulnerable to criminal felony charges.

      Best wishes,
      joniain
      Visit my fascinating site
      http://www.iains-images.co.uk

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • John Belisle
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2, 2006
        Yes Faiq As I said. Sung in the National language of the counrty to which it belongs.

        So in Belize it could be sung in English or Spanish as they are both official national languages of that country.
        In the USA and UK English is the National  Language so it should be sung in the National Language.

        Common sense really.

        John Belisle <joniain@...> wrote:
[...]

      • jonboy
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2006
          Why are you against English National Anthems?

          That is very prejudiced as almost all countries have a National anthem
          and no one else seems to mind.

          The very nature of a NATIONAL anthem means that there would be no
          point in singing it in any language other that that of the state to
          which it represents/belongs. It is a celebration of Nationhood
          usually exposed when a country wins something or a mark of respect at
          various cermponies like theatre, concerts, etc,

          What language would you like yours sung in? Faiq.

          --- In LanguagesAndMore@yahoogroups.com, abdul ali faiq <faiqpk@...>

          http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060428/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush_national_anthem

          http://chat.yahoo.com/?room=Cultures%20and%20Community%20Lobby::1600326610

          > For practice and mutual benefit, post the 5 �Wh� (question)
          words in any languages for/with comments...
          > English - Arabic
          > Who - Min
          > What - Maza
          > When - Ma'ta
          > Where - Ayna
          > Why - Limaza
          > and - wa
          > How - Kiyfa
          >
          > Or, translate for FREE...!
          > http://babel.altavista.com
          > http://systransoft.com
          >
          > Post a message informing us where beginning language learners can
          hear free online audio of the Five �Wh� words in any language�

          > Dictionary - Thesaurus
          > http://www.m-w.com
          >
          > LANGUAGE-LEARNING SECTION
          >
          > CONTENTS:
          > --> FEATURE: �OUR FUTURE LANGUAGE CENTER� INCLUDING BILINGUAL
          PRESCHOOL/AFTER SCHOOL ACADEMIC PROGRAM -
          > --> Later Update: TPR (Total Physical Response)
          >
          > SOON: (How soon�?)
          >
          > Dearest Members,
          >
          > Soon, we may be able to get our LAMI.US fix in person with our very
          own personal language center probably with a bilingual preschool/after
          school program.

          > I am very interested in opening up a small Language Center in the
          Southwest Detroit �Mexican Town� area (five minutes driving
          distance from Canada) where I hope you might travel and visit some day
          and share in diverse language learning.

          > You could possibly even volunteer your services for a few minutes
          or longer by giving advice or by tutoring someone in your native
          language.

          > Just how soon will we be able to get our LAMI.US fix in person�?
          With your help, maybe, the sooner the better�

          > I�ll keep you posted!
          >
          > Muy atentamente,
          > Sra. Lami ~ :)
          >
          > ~ http://LAMI.US
          >

          > Email Delivery - TO STOP RECEIVING INDIVIDUAL EMAILS: Access [Edit
          My Membership] or, just email us a request to change your email
          delivery for you.

          > Study abroad
          Spanish language and culture
          Exotic travel
          Language
          Language skill

          Service.

          > http://mail.yahoo.com
          >
          > ---------------------------------
          call rates.

        • Caesariensis
          Message 4 of 8 , May 2, 2006
            Now what language, I wonder, does that make the Swiss NA?

            John Belisle <joniain@...> wrote:
[...]

            How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call rates.

            --
            Best wishes,
            joniain

            WWW.LAMI.US NEWSLETTER ******************************************

            LAST UPDATED 25 FEBRUARY 2006
            ãÑÍÈÇ! (Hi!)

[...]

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          • John Belisle
            Message 5 of 8 , May 4, 2006
              I have no idea nor do I care.

              John Belisle <joniain@...> wrote:
[...]

            • Martha Loutzenhiser
              Message 6 of 8 , May 4, 2006
                I'm having mixed feeling about having joined this list. I'll wait a week and see how it goes.
                Anyway, here is an update on the whole Spanish US Anthem issue...
                Peace, Mar
                ---
                White House Reacts to National Anthem Flap

                WASHINGTON (May 4) - The White House on Thursday disputed an account of President George W. Bush singing the U.S. national anthem in Spanish during the 2000 presidential campaign, saying his Spanish is not that good.
                Critics have accused Bush of hypocrisy for opposing a Spanish language version of the anthem.
                They pointed to a book called "American Dynasty" by Kevin Phillips, who wrote that Bush "would drop in at Hispanic festivals and parties, sometimes joining in singing 'The Star-Spangled Banner' in Spanish."
                White House spokesman Scott McClellan said the assertion did not ring true to him because, "The president speaks Spanish, but not that well."
                "I'm saying that not only was that suggestion absurd, but that he couldn't possibly sing the national anthem in Spanish. He's not that good with his Spanish," McClellan said.
                Bush, a former governor of Texas, sprinkles his speeches with Spanish phrases, as he did during both his presidential campaigns, to show kinship with Hispanics.
                But last week, he said he thought the national anthem should be sung in English, after the "Star-Spangled Banner," or "Nuestro Himno," made its debut with a new Latin beat and Spanish lyrics.
                Bush's wife, Laura, appeared to disagree.
                "I don't think there's anything wrong with singing it in Spanish," said told CNN in an interview on Wednesday.
                She said she thought it should be sung in English, but pointed out that, "We are a nation of immigrants. We are a nation of many, many languages, because immigrants come and bring their languages."
                05/04/06 10:25 ET