Be Your Own Self

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 2012

      Be Your Own Self

      By Imam W. Deen Mohammed

      We have to be our own self. We have to be our own selves. Being your own self means more than conforming to your own nature; it means preserving yourself; saving yourself from slavery to other people or to other ideas.

      The Muslim cannot be a slave to any people or to any other ideas. We are the slaves of Allah. We can't be a slave to any ideology, to the Labor Party doctrine, to communism, to Shiite-ism or any other of the isms, Wahhabiism, or Sunniism. Once a Muslim becomes a "Sunni" rather than a Muslim first, he has taken on Sunni-ism. And Sunni-ism leads to the worship of Prophet Mohammed, over the obedience to G-d or slavery to G-d.

      So we are not worshipers of Prophet Mohammed. We are not worshipers of his cousin Ali, may the peace and blessings be upon him, and may the peace be upon the Imam and Khalifa Ali. We respect them in their proper places.

      Prophet Muhammed is the Messenger Prophet to all of us. Ali was his cousin, a wonderful friend and supporter, but no divine being. We can't worship him. And Prophet Mohammed said "I hope my followers will not do as the Christians did when I pass, that is, go to my grave and weep and make long prayers and fall into the worship, fall into sin." Yes.

      We don't worship Prophet Mohammed. We don't worship anybody. We worship Allah. We are the slaves of Allah. Who guided us to this — through Prophet Muhammed (peace and the blessings be upon him).

      It was that great prophet that guided us to this belief. He gave us this position, that we are slaves of G-d and slaves of no one else, no other ideology, no other person, and no other people.