African-Americans: The Need For Structures and Establishments

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2012
      July 29, 1983
      Elijahville, Georgia - "Jumu'ah Prayer"
      African-Americans: The Need For Structures and Establishments

      Imam W. Deen Mohammed

      This country has been telling the wise and also the foolish that this burden of the black man is a problem for America--all of these African-Americans and they are not established, they are not established economically, they don't have established leadership. When it comes to managing their home life these leaders will tell us all about how to go and argue at the White House. They will tell us how to argue in Congress. They will tell us how to protest on our city streets. But these leaders are not telling us how to manage our family life and how to live in our homes. And for that reason our homes are not established, for that reason our neighborhoods are not established, for that reason the great black populations of Newark, Gary, Chicago, and other places are not established. And we are a dependent colony waiting on the White House and waiting on the President, waiting on a lover to come in the White House--somebody who loves all blacks, waiting on him to come in there and do something for us. That is a shameful situation.

      When we look at the Asians come over here from Korea, the Asians come over here from different parts of Asia, and the Haitians are coming over here, and the Cubans are coming over here, and the Chinese have been over here. And in a little while, in a few years, and sometimes in a few months, they have changed the character of a particular neighborhood. They have established strong business. They are moving forward. They are taking advantage of the opportunity to grow in this free enterprise system. And still there are so many millions of blacks without structures, without structures in the home, without structures in the neighborhood, without anything that they themselves are responsible for holding up--except a temporary opportunity to work for somebody else, or to come in on somebody else's thing. It is time that we come in on our own thing and be successful at it.