HIGHLY GLORIFIED IS ALLAH

    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2009

      Muslim Journal

      HIGHLY GLORIFIED IS ALLAH

      By Imam W. Deen Mohammed

       (Editor's note: Following are excerpts from Imam Wallace Deen Muhammad's Jumah Prayer lecture at Masjid Honorable Elijah Muhammad. Feb. 1, 1980.)

      Dear beloved Muslims, As-Salaam-Alaikum. Highly Glorified is Allah. We seek His aid; we ask forgiveness from Him. We beg goodness from Him. We trust with complete trust in Him. With the Name Allah and giving all praises to Allah, highly Glorified is He in the heavens and in the Earth. For Him is the praise, and for Him is the thanksgiving during the earliest part and at the end. He is the Most Gracious in the skies and in the Earth. "There is no associate with Him, and this is a commandment on me, and I am of the Muslims."

      Allah, the Most High, Supreme and Highly Glorified, says: "The disbelievers say this day is very difficult." Dear beloved Muslims, Allah is the Creator. He says to us in the Quran that He is the Creator of every single thing. "Highly Glorified is Allah above all descriptions they give."

      For Him is all the praise, for Him is all thanksgiving — for the very earliest periods and for the latest. I bear witness that there is nothing worthy of praise except Allah, of worship except Allah, of prayers except Allah alone. There is nothing like unto Him. And I bear witness that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah.

      Dear beloved Muslims, Allah in the Quran —Highly praised is He, Highly Glorified is He, having all Might, the Most Majestic — He says: "Guard diligently the prayers, and the middle prayer." In the commentary and translation by Abdullah Yusuf, this midday prayer is reasoned to be the 'Asr Prayer — the prayer that follows the noon prayer. There is a chapter in the Quran by the name `Asr. By reason, this prayer, might have a connection with the chapter by this name. 'Al Asr.

      People are inclined or have a tendency to get involved in their own personal interest and forget the worship of Allah during this time of the day, says A. Yusuf. The chapter 'Al Asr reads in translation: With the name Allah. Most Gracious, Most Compassionate. By the hour! Surely the humanity is in a state of loss. Except those who have true faith, and their works are righteous. And they cooperate in a mutual struggle to support Truth and Righteousness. And they cooperate in the mutual struggle to support perseverance and patience.

      Dear beloved Muslims, in the beginning of the Khutbah we offer this chapter as a thought for direction in our own minds, direction in our own thinking. By saying that the mission of every Muslim is to work - that is to work to bring all ideas, concepts, ideologies and actions to conform to what Allah has revealed to the Universal Messenger. Prophet Muhammad, upon Him be the Peace and the Most Excellent Salutation.

      The Most High says in the Quran. "Oh you who have true faith, be a people for Allah as witnesses for justice, and do not allow your dislike or hatred for any people to cause you to swerve from justice. Do justice, it is the nearest to true piety. And reverence, Allah, indeed Allah is aware of the innermost secrets."

      With the Name Allah, and bearing witness that nothing is worthy of worship except Allah, no comparison can there be of Him. We extol Him for Muhammad and offer Muhammad the greatest salutation.

      Dear beloved Muslims, I now bring your attention to a problem in this Western culture that is a problem for us as Muslims, as well as a problem for those who live in this culture and accept the culture. There is in the history of the Christian Church an outstanding leader among them, who is called Saint Basil. This Christian leader is reported for giving an idea to the Christians of Europe, an idea to find some common ground of philosophical terminology between Church and paganism. And he taught that Christians should interpret and apply pagan principles so that they give freshness to Christian ideas. He encouraged the philosophy, "be as the honey bee," selecting pollen from every flower. "...Apply what pagan ideas say in principle to complement Christian ideas" —St. Basil.

      With this he instructed them to interpret pagan principles and concepts in the light of the Church doctrine. That contributed to a heavy influx of pagan ideas and pagan principles. Hence, pagan influences are real in the Christian culture. Unfortunately for us, most of us were raised in this culture. Most of us were raised as Christians. Those of us who did not receive Christian teachings in the Church, have received the Christian influences from culture. So whether you are a confessed Christian or not, you are a product of Christian society or Christian culture until you break with that and accept another cultural thinking.

      Praise be to Allah, the religion of AI-Islam made good sense to us. When we study Christian concept of God, the Trinitarian in the light of past history, we see that this Trinitarian idea has borrowed from pagan concepts. What do we mean by pagan? Pagan is name given to idol worship, the worship of that, which is of the creation. It distinguishes it-, from revealed religion that promotes the worship of only the Creator.

      The basic difference between the concept of God for pagan ideas and the real religion is in the way they view God and the way we view God. For us, Allah is the creator of everything. For them, lie is of creation or in creation and that creation is a manifestation of Him. They see the gods as influences or spirits dwelling in the material things. Allah says in the Quran to open the eyes of those who have that kind of problem. "They are carefully attending their gods.

      And again Allah says of the pagan idol worship, when the idol worshipers are questioned about the worship of those idols, they say, "We don't worship these idols. They are a means for bringing us closer to the gods."

      The idol worshipers explain that the material form is a means or a medium for bringing the hidden forms to them — that the gods are communicating through the physical forms. Then the challenge is put to them: What is better, your idol that cannot see, has no eyes with which to see, no feet with which to walk, no hands — or the human Messenger that Allah chooses? Which is better?

      If you are going to have a message come to you through something, then wouldn't it make more sense that it should come through something more superior than your clay model or your iron or your stone gods? The man, the human being, Prophet Muhammad — he is the Messenger of Allah. Isn't it ridiculous that people pray to an idol that they form with their own hands and will believe that God will speak through that idol, but won't believe that Allah, that God will speak through a human being that they didn't form with their hands, that they cannot create?

      The human being is not dead and listless like idols they make. The human being is alive, feeling, moving and thinking. The human being can communicate with other humans. There can be exchange between them. Doesn't it make much more sense that Allah would choose a human being to be His conveyer, to carry His message? Not an incarnation, but the Messenger.

      When we read what Allah says in Quran concerning what I have just mentioned, we find that the comparison with the human being is not what some of you have made the mistake in doing. It is not a comparison between the Allah in human form and the idol gods. What a grave mistake and sin! It's a comparison between God's Messengers and idol gods that idol worshipers claim to be mediums through which God speaks.

      Some of us don't know what we are looking for and we make a mistake. This dead person who wants to follow a man-god says, "Yeah, the Holy Quran is saying that man is God." That's the trouble you get into because your hearts are not right. If your hearts were right, you wouldn't get in that trouble.

      Dear beloved Muslims, in the history of man's struggle to find intelligent faith, intelligent worship, there has been nature worship.

      It's really regretful and saddening that a misrepresentation of the Blessed Mary has come because of the confusion of ideas in religion with nature worship. From fertility worship, we have been given the erroneous worship of Christ the Prophet. This confusion of pagan ideas in the religion has caused the Christian Church to blend and confuse nature worship with Mary, and fertility worship with Jesus Christ — upon them be peace.

      Dear beloved Muslims, Highly Glorified is your Guardian Evolver, "Who created then gave Guidance." Allah is "the Creator of every single thing," and Allah says that He created and He gave the guidance. Oneness — there is no deity except Allah alone. Oneness removes all -shirk," that is all corruption in the worship of Allah. Oneness!

      But our logic is not that good all the time. So our limited intelligence cannot find pure Oneness all the time. We think we have found Oneness, but it still contains some shirk, some corruption. This is the case with many churches and many others. Pure Oneness removes all corruption in the worship of Allah.

      Dear beloved Muslims, as we read the following, we will see that our attention is being drawn to Allah as He is then to problems in the worship of Allah: to "nature" — to "nature worship." Then to a problem that also developed later — "the forces of nature." Then to a tendency for weak intellect to identify the forces in nature as angels or Gods.

      Such progression for the intellect was still "shirk." Then we come to the idea that the discipline, the universal discipline, the Oneness in the sense of a universal discipline, universal law — that that is God: still shirk. Then we come of the life processes, that the life processes are God: still shirk.

      How do they reason this way—? Because the human being is human. He has a compassionate soul; he has a capacity for beauty and love. He has a great capacity for purity, for moral excellence, for charity, for kindness. So in trying to find the deity that he can accept, he runs into problems, if this conceived deity doesn't satisfy his soul.

      Man rejects those cold concepts, those in-compassionate and dead concepts of deity to try to find a deity that his heart recognizes. He says, "Oh, no — that can't be God. The nature can't be God. This cold law can't be God. This universal scheme can't be God. Oh, maybe the merciful attribute, maybe the generous attribute, maybe the graciousness that we see manifest in this physical order maybe that's God."

      So they start to identify the life force as God. Still shirk. They wrestle with that and then comes the problem again. The weak intellect is struggling on to find the True God. And Allah has set the intellect on the path. He comes to a conclusion, "Oh, no — there is a double thing working here; there is life and death."

      The confusion is in duality. The problem of duality was in the very beginning. As soon as man thought something he could study objectively was God, he got the problem of duality. Everything that he can, study has a dual relation. Everything that Allah has created has a dual principle in its nature.

      Allah says that He has created everything in pairs. But He is only One; He is One alone. There is no duality working in Allah. There is no negative and positive working in Allah. There is no male and female working in Allah. There is no matter and energy working in Allah. There is only Allah; He created all of these things. They operate on the principle of duality; He operates on the principle of Oneness, needing nothing.

      That's why Allah says, "How can they charge God with having a son, when He never had a female partner?" He doesn't need to reproduce Himself; this is for creation. He is eternal, existing always the same. Never had to be born and never will go out of existence; will remain eternally the same. This is Allah, says Allah in the Quran.

      We have to exist on a principle of dualistic operation — negative-positive, male-female, etc. This is not only "our" characteristic; this is the characteristic of every created thing. Allah says everything that He created operates on this pattern. But He is the only One that differs; He is separate from His creation.

      He is not creation; He cannot be studied objectively, except by revelation. You can only come to know His being from revelation. No objective study can be made of Him. You can study the physical manifestation of His work, of His will; you can study the manifestation of His will objectively, but you cannot study Him objectively. "No vision catches Him;" no human vision catches Him. "But He overtakes all visions in his vision" — Quran

      "He is the One who gave everything its nature and thereafter its guidance." Do you want to worship nature or do you want to worship the God that gave the nature? He is first — the One "who created, then gave balance." This is referring to the settling of what He created.

      Allah said that the skies, the universe, these galaxies were in a state of confusion — in a state of disorder. And then He directed His being to bring balance and order in the universe. He brought balance and order, and science gives the report.

      I don't know if they stole it from the Quran, which was revealed fourteen hundred years ago, or if they just lucked upon the right answer. However, science gives the same idea. The beginning state of creation is chaotic —confusion, disorder. It evolves to order, and is brought to order, and comes to order in time.

      "...The One who gave the power and the guidance."

      What is "qadr"? Force, power: these powers and forces that man sees operating in the creation, in the material World, are not their own maker. Allah made them. Allah brought that about. They came about as natural consequences after creation. Once He has created, the creation bears His influence. He created it; don't you think that it obeys Him? Certainly —He created it; it must obey His will.

      Therefore the creation bears the influence of Allah's will. So once He creates, the creation begins to come into order. The power is manifest; the power operates, creation follows a discipline.

      "The One who brings out the pasture" brings out the life from the Earth. Or we may say, who "brings out the fertility, and the hidden potential for growth. These words are speaking to these troublesome ideas in the minds of people who are trying to find correct worship. The life forces are not God either —no. Allah alone is God; He has created, He has brought about all these other manifestations. He is the One who has caused the life to spring out of the dead Earth. Don't worship fertility, worship Allah who created and made all these things possible.

      "Then He brings about a withering, and a harvesting as with bundled-up stubble." Now we glimpse the problem for those who worship death forces. Don't you know that in the history of the Western society, recently in the history, there was a big problem with some people breaking off from true Christianity and falling into the habit of devil worship?

      Satan worship was a big problem for Western church society at one point in Western history. There are still secret cults that worship insanity. Those weak minds struggling for the pure concept of God have stopped there at that point examining the material world, trying to find a likeness of God in the objective world. They cannot do it, because He is the Creator of the objective world; and He is not object but cause, the Creator.

      If we think now on this idea that has come step-by-step or stage-by-stage, we see in the conclusion here a very touching lesson. It is not just the case for the green herbs, for the green plants, for the things that spring up out of the dead Earth; it's the case also for the individual human being.

      Look how we come up young and beautiful —so beautiful that the people want to worship youth. We have a youth cult right now in Western society. They want to worship youth. It's no surprise, dear people, that the Western culture is having this problem with the youth worship. The very picture of the deity is first presented to them as a fresh newborn baby.

      If we examine this problem of this worship in the light of the Quran, we see what is the conclusion of this thing. Certainly the baby comes and he's young and beautiful and tender and fresh-looking. Oh — and he touches our hearts.

      But as 10 years go past, there is a change in our relationship with him. Another 10 years go past, there is still more change in our relationship with him. After a while, 50 years have passed and there is even a greater change in our relationship with him. Soon 60 or 80 years pass and the relationship is almost turned around completely. We're taking care of the baby that we were once worshiping.

      You see how Allah caused the sap of life to dry out, how He withered up that thing that attracted you so. Dear beloved Muslims, I conclude this Khutbah with the words from Quran: "For Allah, nothing at all serves as a comparison." Allah is Greatest!