1150Man is Both Male & Female

    Jan 4, 2014

      Man is Both Male & Female

      By Imam W Deen Mohammed (raa)

      Male and female being from one soul addresses our abstract equality

      Qur'an 4.1; Man, woman created from one soul

      "O mankind! reverence your Guardian-Lord Who created you from a single person created of like nature his mate and from them twain scattered (like seeds) countless men and women;..."

      Intelligence and morality is abstract

      We have to preserve the original social purity for the male and female, for the sexes, when Allah says to us in our Holy Book, "That He made the male and female from one soul," He's addressing our abstract equality. The intelligence of human beings though having an organ that it needs for its expression, the brain, it is abstract, the intelligence is abstract, the moral nature and life is abstract,. Emotional life is abstract, all of our precious features as a creation of Allah or as a human being are abstract, the most precious features we have are all abstract. And you cannot not know me nor can you take the camera and take my true picture.

      The camera just gives you my body which just shows some impressions made by my true self that is inside the body, but is it not me. If you see me on a picture you do not know me, you will not know my heart, you will not know even my lungs that breathe. You will only know what you see on the outside not my valuable organs within me that houses my spirituality, my intellect etc., all of these precious properties of mine that make me human and make me a wonderful creature of Allah.

      So when Allah says that He made you from "Nafsen wahidah", this is Quranic Arabic meaning "One single soul," He is saying to us that originally before we engage matter, before we engage the outside world we are perfectly equal. We are one and the same intellectually, spiritually, morally, socially and in ever other way, we are the same. We come from one and the same human type, one and the same human form for mankind.

      The dictionary shows that our society, its leaders have not forgotten that, when I look up man in the dictionary certainly it will speak to me of my muscles and etc., but I also looks at another entry and it says, "Man is both male and female." Man includes males and females, this goes back to Scripture that reveals that male and female were once in one and the same entity, the human type, one human type that is equal in all the important respects.

      Modern civilization is showing us now that if you direct women to man's interest in the material field they will develop muscles like men. I saw a woman on television, they showed her in a physique contest and she made me put my robe on. I had my little frail body sitting there on the couch and I went and got my robe I felt so ashamed that she had so such muscles and I don't have them, I covered my body. But this all will disappear, and what Religion wants is that we give freedom to everybody, yes, the woman has freedom to develop her muscles, but some sanctuary must be kept so that we don't lose the roles of male and female that Allah, our Creator gave us and wants us to keep and respect.

      Lastly, I want to say that in Al Islam we have, as you do in other Religions, rituals protecting the purity of our Religion. And within the language of rituals we have symbols given to the males and females to protect the history of our Religion, the history of mankind as perceived in Scripture as the creation of Allah.