1143Commentary On Sura Al-Ikhlas, Chapter 112

    Dec 18, 2013
      10/13/2002
      Commentary On Sura Al-Ikhlas, Chapter 112
      By Imam W Deen Mohammed (raa)

      Arabic has no capitalized letters

      Many words in Arabic are feminine in grammar. One word is kalimah, it means word. It has the feminine “T” at the end. When you are talking about a specific thing like the Qur'an you say, “Al ketaabul lah” translated the Book of G-d. You will notice in Arabic we don’t capitalize anything? There is no such thing as capital and lower case letters. They are just letters. No letters are capitalized.

      In chapter 112 of the Qur'an, “Lam” means “Did not,” but if you put something else it could be right. So do not think that you are not right because you do not have what I have. I look at what you have. The Qur'anic Arabic is, “Wa lam yuulad wa lam yakun lahu kufuwan ahad.” Qur'an 112.4;

      There are a lot of ways to translate that. Yakun means “To exist, to be.” It is from the Arabic verb “Kaana” that means “Was.” Most Arabic words are made from verbs. Even nouns are from verbs.

      If you translate it to say “Never was there or never did there exist” or even if you use the present tense verb it is okay. You can say “Never is there for Him a likeness.” “Kufuwan” means a likeness, a resemblance or a comparison. As long as you have the right meaning it is okay. This word “Yakun” means to exist or “Was.” You have to put there a good translation. If you want to make good translation in English you have to think in English because you to know what you are saying in Arabic. And think in English to yourself, “How can I say
      this in English and carry the translation as accurately as possible but have it in good English expression.“

      Never was there for Him a comparison or a likeness. But you don’t want to get this word confused with the English word “Any’ because it does not mean any. When you want to make the meaning right in English sometimes you have to sacrifice the exact meaning in the language you are translated from to get the better translation. “Never was there for Him any single likeness” Or “Never was there for Him a single likeness.“

      Ahad means alone, it depends on how you use it in any expression. “Qul huwal lahu ahad,” translated, “Say G-d is one only,” that is what it means. Not just one. Ahad means one alone, in the singular. Say G-d is one only or Say He G-d is one only. One by Himself. There is no god with Him. This is referring to G-d as a trinity. So it is saying that G-d is not one of three. G-d is one alone by Himself.