1120The Islamic World Comes Under Darkness at Times - Part 2 of 2

    Nov 6, 2013

      Jumu'ah Khutbah: The Islamic World Comes Under Darkness at Times - Part 2 of 2

      Imam W. Deen Mohammed (raa)

      The Arabs did not just hear that word for the first time from Mohammed's mouth. There is an Arab proverb in the Bible that says: "A living dog is better than a dead lion." In this proverb is the word "hayya," the living.,

      In the Call to Prayer, "hayya" is given as an imperative or as an order. It is a noun and a verb, for example the word "stop" is a noun and a verb.

      "Hayya" in Arabic is living as in a noun. If you say, "Hayya alas salat," the same word that meant living now means "come." To the enlightened student who is searching language for more knowledge and understanding, this is saying to that student that this word does not merely mean "come," it means "come with enthusiasm, come living not dead or sleepy or slumbering or absentminded." It means come with enthusiasm, come lively to prayer.

      What is prayer now? To know this makes the difference between a live Muslim and a dead Muslim. When you see Christians with their hands up, they are praying. That is not the way we pray. When you see Muslims have their hands up, that is the way we beg not the way we pray. This is saying that we are begging our G-d; we are not supposed to beg man.

      The Prophet said the one who holds his hand out begging is inferior to the one who gives to the hand. To hold the hands out in prayer for the Muslim is not salat; this is du'a. And du'a means to call for help. To understand prayer in Islam, we must get the understanding from revelation, from the Qur'an and Muhammed. But the first source is revelation.

      In the Qur'an, Allah says every creature knows its mode of prayer. The lion, the eagle, the snake, the mosquito, the fly it didn't leave out any. It says that every creature knows its mode of prayer.

      So what then is prayer? Prayer is your natural life's discipline given to you by the Creator. All the animals that G-d didn't give free will and free intellect or mind, they stay in the same mold created for them by their Creator they don't come out of that mold.

      They wake up like they are supposed to wake up. They go to sleep like they are supposed to sleep. They move and transport themselves like they are supposed to as they were created to. They form their families and their societies as they were created to. They conduct their daily life to survive as they were created to do it.

      Man is above them in creation. Man is created also to think and plan his future. But the same G-d that gave that mold for them, gave us also our thinking mold and He has planned thought in human life to take us from animal existence to inspired man's existence and to serve community in a way to make it the most excellent and the most trouble free and intelligent community, the most obedient community to G-d, to Creator.

      It is to be the strongest sign that this community recognizes its Creator and gives credit to its Creator above all things. This G-d has created our intellect to acknowledge Him and to take our life to the best possible condition. This G-d has given this to us in our nature, in our souls and in our minds.

      This will happen in a natural way. That is what Allah says to us through Muhammed and revelation, "it is the religion of origin" our human origin, that He has pattern the human civilized society of man upon. So we think of revelation and yes, we need revelation just to assist evolution when man runs out.

      G-d says, "My man is ready for Me now. He has run out. He knows not where to take his life. He has learned that he will fail himself. Now I will come and help you. So he will know Me." G-d wants to be known by human beings, so that human beings can do more with His creation than animals can do.

      G-d wants this creation to be better, and He created one of the animals to do that with the capacity and potential to go higher and reach further with his mind and to take His creation further than animals can take it. He wants it taken to community life. This is where you should be in your thinking.

      We, the world of religious teachers, are so far behind. We are talking to man's soul, we are talking to his spirit but are doing little teaching to his rational mind. And that is a big mistake.

      In Islam, the focus is the rational mind and Muhammed the Prophet, peace be upon him, said "G-d did not create anything better than the human brain." This is the saying of our Prophet recorded in Bukhari and Muslim in hadith, the great volumes of information. I, W D Mohammed was assisted by Elijah Muhammad, who was inspired by W. D. Fard Muhammad, and it wasn’t until he got that kind of assistance that the world witnessed this kind of talk.

      Now if G-d wants me to glorify Him, should I just glorify Him with my hands in clapping or just by shouting with noise and movement.

      A king may invite me to perform for him and I know how to crack jokes and dance and sing, but I also have mental skills and can do calculus and the kingdom doesn't have calculus. If he invites me, should I offer him what is superior or what I have that is inferior? Should I buck dance when the king needs calculus and I know calculus?

      Should I go and give G-d the spirit of my soul and the sentiments of my heart, when G-d has created my brain above my soul and above my heart. Although the soul is so mysterious, it may extend above my brain, but I do know it waits on my brain to do something. So should I perform with my spirit and not perform with my mind for G-d? Should I glorify Him with my spirit and not with my intelligence?

      When you see what has happened in this world to bring communities from existing just like animals, eating, sleeping, having sex, playing and dying, to engage in the material world and to give human beings science and technology and many comforts with the intellect working with matter....

      When you see how Islam came in the time of Muhammed, when the world had left off intellectual interest and scientific inquiries, when Muhammed received Qur'an, it was inspired again in the minds of studious men and women.

      Then the great sciences and technology came back medicine, astronomy with instruments to study the stars, with instruments to make glass all of this came back. Then came universities and colleges.

      When you see that, know that G-d created human beings to glorify Him, not just with the instruments of their feelings but with the instrument of their brain and their rational faculties, etc. This is a great glorification.

      Science tells us that the most developed part of the brain is the frontal part. But before science told us that, the religion told us that we put that part on the ground or floor in glorifying G-d.

      G-d said He made the man of the earth; out of the earth he came. Then he is told that he will die and return to the earth. You should say: "G-d, I am dead when I am under the authority of narcotics and drugs and whiskey and sex. G-d, I am dead when I am under the influence of my bank account; my money is managing me and I'm not managing it.

      "G-d, return me to the womb of science and knowledge and direction from You, so I can stand up as a living man on my feet again." So we glorify G-d and say, "G-d, I lost it, but I'm giving it back to You. I think I have found myself, and I am going to put my head on the ground that You took me out of, in hope that I will be born again and live again and glorify You with my whole life and with my mind."

      Then educate your brothers. Educate your sisters. Educate your public for a better world. This is prayer. That is why on the Jumuah Day we don't have to say four rakat of Thuhr, the midday prayer. We cut it in half, because what I am doing with my khutbah (speech) is prayer.

      The Bible has Jesus saying, "Give us this day our daily bread." He wasn't talking about Wonder Bread from the store. He was talking about the "bread to be read and read correctly. And I need it daily." Is there proof of this in the Bible? Yes. The Bible said of Jesus, "Take this in the communion" wine – “in the remembrance of Me.”

      The Bible says that the wine represents spirit and that it is the spirit of the New Testament. "Take this bread in remembrance of me, my body." And the Bible tells us that this bread is the doctrine of the New Testament. Doctrine means teachings.

      The wine represents spirit, and the bread represents teachings. So I say to you to take the "b" off of bread and just read it as "read." This is in agreement with the New Testament.

      This is a wonderful loaf of bread. In fact, it is five in one. Here is what we should be looking at. Islam comes to awaken us for community life. Muslims can't be Muslims on an island somewhere off to ourselves away from Mohammed our society and away from our people.

      Muslims are obligated by the teachings of Islam to establish the individual in community not outside of community. All of our aspirations, all of our hopes you are to first look at your community and then pick a place in your community for you to establish yourself upon or in. This is Islam; Islam requires that of us.

      We are not to go out on our own individually and try to make a life for ourselves. We have to look at our community first and plan our life with respect to what our community gave us, with respect for what our community needs and with respect for where our community has to go in order to meet what G-d asks of community in Qur'an and in those teachings on the life of Muhammed the Prophet.

      Islam is community life, not just living our own life privately or selfishly. Islam comes to do what civilization does. When we are told by G-d that this is a community of "fitrah," a community of origin, archeologists and the sciences that study the past life of man on this earth find evidence that human life is an evolving life.

      G-d also says that we are created like a plant. And just like a plant starts with a seed and develops itself upon a stem and later produces a beautiful design or symmetry or production and oftentimes produces something useful to other life seeds or fruits that other life feeds upon, including human beings or beauty that the human soul feeds on, it is giving something.

      When the plant establishes itself, it is giving to something other than itself. The simplest of plants that has no seed, no fruit, no nuts, no beauty, it will die and its dead body enriches the soil that it came up out of or was taken from. It makes the soil richer for itself and for other things to grow in.

      G-d has created life not to live selfishly but to give unselfishly charity. Some of the greatest advancements we have made for human society have been made possible because of people not being selfish. Because if we were selfish, we would not even give the knowledge freely; not to mention the material benefits that some of us are fortunate to have and share with others so they would have a better life.

      We wouldn't have the knowledge and the sciences in the world making it so beautiful, if it weren't for the charity that is in the heart of every human being. This is the beauty of religion; this is the substance of religion. The substance of religion is not in show, not in rituals, not in dressing up in your ihram, the two pieces of cloth, and bringing your picture back from Hajj to show people.

      The substance of this religion is not "Allahu Akbar," and nobody heard it. These people are dead; you have to teach them for them to hear that. Just like it is for the evolution of man, social science believes that man has a natural desire and urge in him to evolve to get better and better, more developed and more developed, become more resourceful and more resourceful, to become more qualified to do greater and better things science says that man is created with this spirit and desire in him to evolve socially.

      Science says that civilization does not really present itself, until man perceives his social aim of where he should take his life in community with other men and people and families not just his private life. He has to be turned on to where he is to take his community life, his people, his tribe that he lives with on this earth or continent or peninsula. When he gets in that mind, that is when he starts to evolve socially.

      This takes him to his social aim. That is to have comfort not just for himself but for the people he belongs to. If your Imam W. Deen Mohammed were not turned on to this when he was a teenager, you would not have W. Deen Mohammed.

      It is not the Qur'an and the Sunnah that made this Imam. It is my desire to live the best of my social nature and to follow the best aim in this social nature, so that our people and I will be helped by my existence. Elijah Muhammad, my father, turned that on in me.

      It was because of that nature, my "fitrah" that I was given that, and I was able to guide you to the Qur'an and the Sunnah. I know where my salvation is. I know where my savior was in my "fitrah."

      To succeed in this world where all human beings have the same nature; G-d gave every human being a "fitrah." To compete in this world and to succeed, we need a strategy and a superior strategy, because other people have strategies too. We need the best strategy that can compete with all other strategies and not be defeated. That is the strategy of Islam. That is the strategy Muhammed had, prayers and peace be upon him.

      The best strategy is the one of openness, not secrecy. G-d loves Truth. G-d loves courage in a righteous man, a righteous man who is brave enough to trust Truth, even when falsehood tells him he can live longer.

      But don't think this is a silly, foolish openness. This is a wise openness. It reveals itself to those on top first, before the middleman hears it. It is put in a language that escapes the man on the ground but reaches the man in the high tower.

      They now say: "Uh oh, we have company and we didn't create him. He is telling everything and telling what we are doing up here. We have to review our work and see where we are right now and see if we have done anything wrong. We have to make sure we are on solid ground. See if there is a prediction we can work out to explain this guy's creation." So they go back and study.

      Then they come up with the conclusion: "He has seen in the sanctuary and into the sacred quarters, but he is not guided by G-d. He lacks the wisdom that G-d gives. So let's ignore him. Let's embarrass him. Let's bring out his weak side. Let's destroy him." But if they say, "he is genuine, he is wise, he is protected by G-d," they are quiet as they can possibly be. Because everything they say, they know he is going to hear it.