Re: [LandUseBurlington] Land Use Committee - Agenda for meeting 6-26-13

  • paul valleli
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 11, 2013
      Kristin,
      These issues have been addressed by members of LUC and are planned to be finalized at the June 26th meeting followed by warrant article submissions for September Town Meeting.
      Glare and Trespass no longer require light meter measurements but are determined by a look-up table of Lumen output as a function of distance from the lot line and a permissible luminaire illustration.
      My comments ( not LUC) on your list:
      The zoning By-Law will be submitted by LUC not me, personally. I am hoping the BoS will do likewise for the General By-law after they review the revised documents.

      Burlington Lighting Conditions for Site Plan & Special Permit Decisions

      1.             Exterior parking lot and building lighting shall not to shine upward or onto adjoining properties or roadways.

       This is the same wording that the Building Inspector could not interpret for the Julia Connors Dr. altercations. It requires a light limit specification in terms of Lumens but is determined by the Look-Up Table for distance of the light pole from the lot lines and does not require a light meter. Values are 1.(one) lm for residential and conservation properties, 2 (two)lm for adjoining commercial properties. One lumen is TEN times the light of the Full Moon.

      2.            Any lighting not required for security [or Safety] purposes shall not be operable between midnight and 6:00 a.m including signage. Lighting shall be shut off during daylight hours.

      This should be negotiable for individual situations via the Special Permit process.

       3.            All lighting fixtures shall meet International Dark Sky Association Guidelines (http://www.darksky.org/) or equivalent standard.

      It is preferred to use the manufacturer's specifications for "Fully Shielded" as determined by the ( new) illustration in the Guide rather than IDA or IESNA guidelines as there is confusion about the amount of sidelight allowed that will contribute to Glare. An example is the Acorn streetlights in Arlington and Woburn.

      4.            All lighting fixtures shall be full cut-off, that is, fully shielded, producing a cone of light relative to the [Nadir]ground not to exceed 45º .

      "relative to the ground" is imprecise. Nadir is 'straight down' the opposite of Zenith.

      The IDA standard for "full cut-off" is 60 degrees and IESNA is 90 degrees, allowing unnecessary glare.

      The Burlington Guide specifies 45 deg. to minimize spill light.

      5.            Fixtures shall employ the best available energy efficiency, as measured by light output [measured in Lumens]per watt.

       6.           Final fixture design shall be reviewed and approved by the Planning Director [Staff ???] prior to installation.

                           To spread the responsibility and reduce workload ?

      I hope these changes are agreeable but are negotiable.

      Paul

      On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 6:08 PM, Kristin Kassner <kkassner@...> wrote:

      Paul,

      Below is a listing of recommended practices and conditions cornering lighting in Burlington that the Planning Board has agreed to include in all Site Plan & Special Permit Decisions.

      Burlington Lighting Conditions for Site Plan & Special Permit Decisions

      1.             Exterior parking lot and building lighting shall not to shine upward or onto adjoining properties or roadways.

      2.            Any lighting not required for security purposes shall not be operable between midnight and 6:00 a.m including signage. Lighting shall be shut off during daylight hours.

      3.            All lighting fixtures shall meet International Dark Sky Association Guidelines (http://www.darksky.org/) or equivalent standard.

      4.            All lighting fixtures shall be full cut-off, that is, fully shielded, producing a cone of light relative to the ground not to exceed 45º .

      5.            Fixtures shall employ the best available energy efficiency, as measured by light output per watt.

      6.           Final fixture design shall be reviewed and approved by the Planning Director prior to installation.

      Kristin

      Kristin E. Kassner, AICP

      Planning Director

      Town of Burlington

      P: 781.270.1645

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 12, 2013
          Ernie,
          You are right about number 5.
          A good example is the LED Billboards, where more energy is spent for cooling to extend the LED lifetime than for actually illuminating the display. As long as an advertising agency can afford it.

          Bern Kosicki told me that Acton has problems regulating power consumption as they do not have  lighting enforcement patrols - shades of '1984'!
          That is why we eliminated wattage restrictions.
          Paul