Comments for the LUC meeting on Monday 2/7

  • Matt Frost
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2011
      Hi Sally,

      Several comments I have are:

      1. What is Article XII replacing? Or is this new?

      2. Article XII 12.1.2 - the last paragraph seems unnecessary, unless it's there to provoke discussion about the inclusion of limitations.

      3. Article XII 12.1.4.2 - the Concept Plan would require a utilities analysis (h) and a traffic analysis (i) but does not appear to require an analysis of the availability of existing capacity of schools and of police and fire protection personnel or of the costs of expanding such capacity to accommodate any proposed developments. It seems that Burlington has consistently overlooked such hidden costs in the past when making significant decisions that affect the current residents, and perhaps this type of thing should start being considered, because there is a sense that developers and/or developments have been profitable at the residents' expense.

      4. The minutes for the LUC meeting of 1/5/11 still appear biased regarding the discussion of the old article 20 because the petition count "for" and "against" was omitted whereas the e-mails were stated as being "for." But since article 20 was withdrawn, this may be moot. In the future, however, I would hope that the minutes of all LUC meetings will be presented fairly, and if any member of the LUC feels they are not, that they be amended to everyone's satisfaction if possible.

      5. At the bottom of the agenda for the LUC meeting postponed from 2/2 to 2/7 is an apparent mission statement for the LUC. Questions I have regarding this statement are:

      A. Where does this statement originate, the Town's by-laws?

      B. What are the criteria to be used to fulfill the LUC's stated objective of determining "if the proposed use of the land is a good use.or a better use.?" Examples might be: to raise tax revenue, maximize the land's market value, maximize a developer's profit, enhance the quality of life of nearby residents, enhance the quality of life for residents townwide, preserve wildlife and trees, etc.

      Also, all evenings except Mondays and Thursdays are fine with me, but I understand that these issues need to be addressed before this upcoming Tuesday.

      Thanks Sally. That's all for now, and hope Monday's meeting goes well.

      Matt