what next?

  • Sally Willard
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 2, 2008
      I didn't do a very good job of promoting the substitute article last night.  Alas. I still want to be proactive but there is no hard deadline ahead of us, unless we consider the likely move to do something with the wildwood site next may.

      Do we want to meet next week (Wed., Oct 8, 6:30 PM)  or wait until the first Wednesday in November?

      Is 6:30 better or worse than 7:00?

      If we're meeting next week, I will need to post the meeting.  I reserved the TH Annex but a larger group needs that so we'll meet in the lounge in the basement.  Another option is a room at the library.  This will work as long as we're not meeting beyond 8:45PM.

      Please let me know.

      Thanks,
      Sally

      ______________________
      Sally Willard
      Wizard Associates
      781-929-6869 direct
      208-275-5800 fax

    • Jim Patterson
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 2, 2008
        Sally,

        Don't lose sleep over last night.   Frankly, I can't understand why they didn't get the fact that all we are trying to do is bring TM better information regarding Town Owned Land.   I also thought that Dan Di Tucci was a little overbearing last night and brought undue pressure to you when asking questions.  Dan is running for Selectman in the Spring and maybe that was an opportunity to look selectman-like.   Who knows.   I have a principal from NY in town next Wednesday night, so I can't make the meeting.   Also, it might not be a bad idea to take a short break, while we wait for Tony Fields to compile the list of property that the town owns.

        Best Regards,
        Jim Patterson

        I didn't do a very good job of promoting the substitute article last night.  Alas. I still want to be proactive but there is no hard deadline ahead of us, unless we consider the likely move to do something with the wildwood site next may.

        Do we want to meet next week (Wed., Oct 8, 6:30 PM)  or wait until the first Wednesday in November?

        Is 6:30 better or worse than 7:00?

        If we're meeting next week, I will need to post the meeting.  I reserved the TH Annex but a larger group needs that so we'll meet in the lounge in the basement.  Another option is a room at the library.  This will work as long as we're not meeting beyond 8:45PM.

        Please let me know.

        Thanks,
        Sally

        ____________ _________ _
        Sally Willard
        Wizard Associates
        781-929-6869 direct
        208-275-5800 fax

      • Moyer, Karen A.
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 2, 2008

          Hi Folks,

          Sorry that was such a rough TM last night.  Given how sensitive this issue has become, we probably should have assumed that some folks would be looking for ulterior motives.  Lesson learned.  Next time we’ll strategize in advance.   Definitely your fault Sally.  I don’t think any of us expected a hostile response.

          I’m OK with taking a break until the end of the month or November.

          Karen

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 2, 2008

            Yikes Sally, please forgive my inept typing.  I was trying to say definitely NOT your fault.  So sorry for the mistake.

            I didn't do a very good job of promoting the substitute article last night.  Alas.  I still want to be proactive but there is no hard deadline ahead of us, unless we consider the likely move to do something with the wildwood site next may.

            Do we want to meet next week (Wed., Oct 8, 6:30 PM)  or wait until the first Wednesday in November?

            Is 6:30 better or worse than 7:00?

            If we're meeting next week, I will need to post the meeting.  I reserved the TH Annex but a larger group needs that so we'll meet in the lounge in the basement.  Another option is a room at the library.  This will work as long as we're not meeting beyond 8:45PM.

            Please let me know.

            Thanks,

            Sally

            ____________ _________ _

            Sally Willard

            Wizard Associates

            http://wizardassoci ates.com

            sally@wizardassocia tes.com

            (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

          • Shari Ellis
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 2, 2008
            • Phyllis Roussell
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 2, 2008

                Sally, you did a great job; it’s just that there were a few gnats flying around. I thought you held your own and graciously as well. I could you some time off, honestly. November works for me; the earlier the better. Thanks to everyone, Phyllis

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 2, 2008
                  I spoke to Recreation about coming to one of our meetings. It makes sense to me because I learned that in their zest for more ball fields and recreation facilities, they looked at quite a few land options. They thought that we might be duplicating efforts. They have an eye on the Wildwood site, even as a temporary solution to a larger problem. By use now I mean borrow the site with the understanding they may have to give it back. As we said in our meeting at the high school, maybe Wildwood should be our first parcel to address.

                  I am in Aruba during the first week of November and Chicago from the 8th until the 14th so this is a hard time for me and meetings but please have them if we can get four five of us to attend.

                  Jim

[...]

                  <blocked::http://wizardassociates.com/> http://wizardassociates.com

                  <blocked::mailto:sally@...> sally@...

                  781-929-6869 direct

                  208-275-5800 fax
                • Paul A. Valleli
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 2, 2008
                    Sally,
                    I think that LUC should take a vacation until a Wed. in November. Then we can take up uses for Wildwood.  7PM is best for me, except at town meeting nights.
                    I think playing fields for the Rec. department would be most apropriate rather than cemetary space. I believe the abutters do not want affordable housing, NIMBY.

                     I would like to see a senior center on Cambridge St., as part of the town center revitalization, near Shaw's, CVS, Gas Stations, etc. However, they should be affordable to seniors/retirees stuck on only SSA payments because the rest of assets went to pay medical bills. That would be around $500/ mo. Am I dreaming ? Is it economically feasible ? It leaves just enough cash for basic necessities.

                    Paul

                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 3, 2008
                      Hi all,
                          Sally, you did a fine job.  It was a logistic issue, having to argue the amendment after a two hour discussion on the LLP as well as amending an article (15), that discussed the LLP in the first place.  When I listened to some of the TMM questions, it was clear that they didn't understand the amendment even though you made it clear that is was to build a framework.
                          Saying that, I believe as Phill said, we don't need TM support to do this.  Phil also said at the second to last meeting that it is our charter to look at land issues and we have some latitude in this regard.
                          Also, I think the selectmen brought up a very good point about duplicating efforts.  I talked to one of the selectmen and as far as the Wildwood goes, they are looking at the option of putting fields there for the recreation department.  I think what we should do is compile a list of all the properties in question, then speak to the committees in town to see what their needs are, then speak to the selectmen to see where they are on those properties.  If we find that the uses they are considering are not consumate with the needs we have found, then we can bring that up to the selectmen.  I think we may be spinning our wheels if we start looking at uses for these properties then bring our findings to TM and the selectmen.

                      Bob

                      To: LandUseBurlington@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 3, 2008
                        Bob,

                        You bring up some great points about the selectmen's caution in duplication of efforts, which were also echoed by Recreation to me the other day.  The only thing I will add is that at times the Moderator and Selectmen may have intended uses or thoughts of potential uses for property, that they may not be willing to share until we see it in a Warrant Article.   By then, LUC is asked an opinion of what has already been decided to do with a property.  Latitude will help and I like the prospect of what we might unearth in looking at all town owned land, so can perform our duties from an educated viewpoint.  For example, if the BOS and Moderator propose selling lots in the center of town to support Grandview, maybe there are isolated lots elsewhere that can be sold to support this and other needs.  While one can argue that the remaining two or three center lots behind Grandview are ear marked to support Grandview as part of the three-way land swap, the selling of lots away from the center of town is a more attractive alternative, but alternatives rarely surface unless someone shines a light on them.   That seems to be out duty.  Have a great weekend all.

                        Jim

                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 3, 2008
                          Hi Jim,
                             I agree with what you say.  My point is to talk to the selectmen early before they make any decision.  If we wait to talk to them, it may be too late and they may have already made a decision.  I just feel we need to communicate frequently with the selectmen if we are going to have any input, as they can make a decision without telling us, thus making any work we did irrelevant.  Case in point, the Wildwood, they are already working on options.  If we are going to have any input we should talk to them now to see where they are in the process. What does the group think of this stategy :

                          1) Compile a list of properties.
                          2) Talk to the Selectmen to see if they have any plans for any of these properties.  If so have them tell us what they are.
                          3) In conjunction with 2, we ask the different commitees about their needs.  As well as figure out a way to find out what the people in town feel they need.
                          4) After we have this information I think we have what we need to be effective and start our work.

                          I think we need to get the selectmen used to giving us information before they make their final decisions.

                          Bob

                          To: LandUseBurlington@yahoogroups.com
                          From: jim@...
                          Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 11:10:15 -0400