Going underground

  • David Reed
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 21, 2010
      Its The Jam. A hit single in the UK : the clue is that the title is repeated throughout in the chorus.
      Another Brit band the Americans did n't get the point of.A tight rock and roll trio wearing retro Mod clothing they sang some very political songs: American audiences jeered at them for being poofs.This song is about the military-industrial complex (not a hit for Dwight Eisenhower either) .
      This week when the members of a rich young men's drinking club attack the working-class in an emergency cut cut and cut again budget there may be some point in replaying the Jam's "Eton Rifles" Last week  was time for playing Elvis Costello's " Oliver's Army"

    • Joshua Vincent
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 21, 2010
        Saw Weller, Foxton and Buckler three times in the states....some of us got it.
        Don't Wanna go down to the Tube Station at Midnight....

        Joshua Vincent
        Executive Director
        Henry George Foundation USA/Center for the Study of Economics
        413 South 10th Street
        Philadelphia, PA 19147
        215.923.7800 Extension 1
        www.urbantools.org
        www.ourcommonwealth.org

        The Center for the Study of Economics is a 501 (c) 3 non-profit educational foundation.
        Our mission is to research land value taxation, to assist governments in implementation and to study the effect of land based property taxation where used. We suggest implementation where appropriate but do not support political candidates or become involved in the electoral process.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 21, 2010

          > This week when the members of a rich young
          > men's drinking club attack the working-class
          > in an emergency cut cut and cut again budget
          > there may be some point in replaying the Jam's
          > "Eton Rifles" Last week was time for playing
          > Elvis Costello's " Oliver's Army"

          Eton Rifles is about the Eton College gun club.  They train the kids to handle guns - I'll leave to guess why.  David Cameron was in it.  My school never had a gun club and I was surprised when I found out.  I think they should be banned from schools - it is not sport.  They constantly have the boys doing sports, so they are quite fit.

          Eton Rifles was written when in 1978 a right to work march was near the Eton college -probably kids from nearby Slough.  The Eton kids were taunting them and there was naturally a fight. The fitter Eton kids, I think mainly rugby players, beat the working class kids.  Saying that I would like to see them mix it with a bunch of Liverpool kids.  I think they would end up running with bruises along the way. :)

        • Joshua Vincent