Re: Motto / definition "Neither left nor right"

  • roy_langston1
    Message 1 of 37 , May 29 11:41 AM
      --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "John" <burns-john@...>
      wrote:

      > Geoism is:
      > 1. Paying rent to the government for land - in the
      > form of Land Tax Valuation

      Or it could be leasing of public lands at market rent.
      At any rate, it is recovery of the publicly created rent
      of land for the purposes and benefit of the public that
      creates it, not the purposes of whoever happens to be in
      government. Consider the "geoism" of Saudi Arabia, for
      example. The government recovers almost all land rent.
      They just spend it mostly on themselves. IMO geoism must
      imply restoration of the equal individual right to use
      land (geo, the earth) via a uniform individual exemption
      or, second best, a Citizens' Dividend.

      > 2. Paying no personal or house taxes to the
      > government - no income tax and tax on your house

      Or sales tax, VAT, or the myriad other taxes that bear
      on production and exchange.

      Message 37 of 37 , Jun 1, 2010

        Roy Langston said:

        “High school teachers aren't the enemy, so you aren't
        likely to come under attack when talking with them.
        But in the trench warfare of Internet political and
        economic discussions where I am fighting, these are
        some typically derisive anti-Georgist salvos:”

        Probably, indulging in these knock-down, drag-out, battles on Usenet does more for the psyche than for the education of others. Best chance of a positive result of this scrapping is among those lurking rather than taking part. A good effort, which I am sure you provide, may influence them favorably in your direction. But no matter how cogent and forcefully you make your points to the Usenet people, it probably makes little difference to the outcome of the argument..

        A first rule of salesmanship is to attend your customers and best prospects first. Thus, time spent with teachers is much more profitable then haranguing on Usenet.

        But, if you enjoy it, so be it.

        Harry