RE: [LandCafe] Re: US Health Debate

    Message 1 of 60 , Mar 31 11:53 PM

      Jock.

      It costs something like $300,000 to get a drug approved (or perhaps not) by our FDA. This means a small research firm cannot afford the process and must turn over their results to a large company which can afford it.

      I am reminded of a doctor friend who had no liability insurance. Everything was owned by his wife. If he were sued, there would be nothing to sue for.

      I remember being zinged by a good one on a television show debate, where a character said his lawyer refused to sue me because all he would get was practice! All anyone would get from this doctor was practice.

      I don’t know the legal details, but it apparently worked.

      The doctors we particularly need are those who save our lives after (say) a car wreck. We don’t want to make their work so unprofitable that they would refuse to do what must be done.

      They are most likely to be sued and over here have enormous premiums. You’ll recall my Georgist friend who, confronted by the latest enormous premium increase, said ‘to hell with it’ and retired.

      I suppose the one advantage of government licensing is that they can impose penalties for infringement, fraud, or whatever. I would think that in a stateless society, private firms would easily take the place government rather like Consumer Reports does now.

      Harry

      Message 60 of 60 , Apr 27, 2010

        Jolly good, Walter!

        Harry