Back to the Future: New Zealand and a (re)new(ed) national land value tax

  • Joshua Vincent
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2010
      In the early 1900s, the national land value tax provided about 10% of New Zealand revenue to the treasury, by the time it was rescinded in 1989-1990, it was a mere .4%
      Local governments that use LVT (see page 8) are still in the comfortable majority, despite high-pressure to eliminate it through legislative (not voter) action.

      Yet, hope springs eternal: check out Urban Tools latest news item: http://www.urbantools.org/news/nuts-and-bolts-new-zealand-and-a-new-national-land-value-tax

      Joshua Vincent
      Executive Director
      Henry George Foundation USA/Center for the Study of Economics
      413 South 10th Street
      Philadelphia, PA 19147
      215.923.7800 Extension 1
      www.urbantools.org
      www.ourcommonwealth.org

      "Justice the Object, Taxation the Means."
      The Center for the Study of Economics is a 501 (c) 3 non-profit educational foundation.
      Our mission is to research land value taxation, to assist governments in implementation and to study the effect of land based property taxation where used. We suggest implementation where appropriate but do not support political candidates or become involved in the electoral process.