Re: Connection between "End of Poverty" film and George...

  • roy_langston1
    Message 1 of 32 , Feb 1, 2010
      --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Dodson"
      <ejdodson@...> wrote:

      > One measure of the presentation's effectiveness
      > is that only about one of every three persons
      > who views part 1 goes on to view part 2.

      That's not a bad ratio, considering that many
      who open Part 1 may not be interested at all, or
      were just surfing the Net for land value porn
      (there's a concept...), etc.

      > As Harry Pollard frequently says, Georgists
      > have a solution to a problem nobody knows they
      > have. The primary objective of this story is to
      > explain that a land problem exists, what are
      > its causes, and what ought to be done about it.

      One way to engage people's interest is through
      suspense: introduce a menace or threat that
      viewers will want to see resolved harmlessly.

      > The primary connections are between hierarchy,
      > land monopoly and poverty. I see liberty as a
      > subject that requires a very different
      > exploration of history -- if this type of
      > thing could be expanded into a series.

      But hierarchy and land monopoly don't make
      people poor. Violation of their rights without
      just compensation does. Consider a Stone Age
      society where there is no landowning and no
      hierarchy, just a thief who takes what people
      produce. They are going to be poor.

      -- Roy Langston
    • roy_langston1
      Message 32 of 32 , Feb 1, 2010