Re: Connection between "End of Poverty" film and George...

    Message 1 of 32 , Feb 1, 2010
      --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, ADuffield1@... wrote:

      > Walto
      >
      > Is there a website through which we foreigners may make donations to your campaign?
      >

      > Regrettably - or perhaps not? - under UK Election Law, campaign donations may be accepted from eligible voters only. So unless you are registered to vote here, your kind offer is unactionable I'm afraid. But thank you anyway.
      >
      > I guess there might be other Georgist-leaning movies that would be cheaper for my local picture house to screen. Suggestions welcome!
      >
      > Andrew

      Ah, sorry. But I wish we had such rules here. Unfortunately (IMHO), thanks to our Supreme Court, we're moving in precisely the opposite direction.

    • roy_langston1
      Message 32 of 32 , Feb 1, 2010
        --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Dodson"
        <ejdodson@...> wrote:

        > One measure of the presentation's effectiveness
        > is that only about one of every three persons
        > who views part 1 goes on to view part 2.

        That's not a bad ratio, considering that many
        who open Part 1 may not be interested at all, or
        were just surfing the Net for land value porn
        (there's a concept...), etc.

        > As Harry Pollard frequently says, Georgists
        > have a solution to a problem nobody knows they
        > have. The primary objective of this story is to
        > explain that a land problem exists, what are
        > its causes, and what ought to be done about it.

        One way to engage people's interest is through
        suspense: introduce a menace or threat that
        viewers will want to see resolved harmlessly.

        > The primary connections are between hierarchy,
        > land monopoly and poverty. I see liberty as a
        > subject that requires a very different
        > exploration of history -- if this type of
        > thing could be expanded into a series.

        But hierarchy and land monopoly don't make
        people poor. Violation of their rights without
        just compensation does. Consider a Stone Age
        society where there is no landowning and no
        hierarchy, just a thief who takes what people
        produce. They are going to be poor.