Connection between "End of Poverty" film and George...

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 32 , Jan 28, 2010
      Can anyone succinctly describe the prescription in the movie as it relates to the Georgist LVT "remedy"??

      Thanks in advance!

      BG
    • roy_langston1
      Message 32 of 32 , Feb 1, 2010
        --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Dodson"
        <ejdodson@...> wrote:

        > One measure of the presentation's effectiveness
        > is that only about one of every three persons
        > who views part 1 goes on to view part 2.

        That's not a bad ratio, considering that many
        who open Part 1 may not be interested at all, or
        were just surfing the Net for land value porn
        (there's a concept...), etc.

        > As Harry Pollard frequently says, Georgists
        > have a solution to a problem nobody knows they
        > have. The primary objective of this story is to
        > explain that a land problem exists, what are
        > its causes, and what ought to be done about it.

        One way to engage people's interest is through
        suspense: introduce a menace or threat that
        viewers will want to see resolved harmlessly.

        > The primary connections are between hierarchy,
        > land monopoly and poverty. I see liberty as a
        > subject that requires a very different
        > exploration of history -- if this type of
        > thing could be expanded into a series.

        But hierarchy and land monopoly don't make
        people poor. Violation of their rights without
        just compensation does. Consider a Stone Age
        society where there is no landowning and no
        hierarchy, just a thief who takes what people
        produce. They are going to be poor.