Opportunity in Japan?

  • Roy Langston
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2009
      Now that the Japanese have finally turfed out the LDP seeking economic reform, is there any chance of reinstating significantly more land rent recovery? Rent recovery provided the great majority of government revenue during Japan's Meiji-era boom, and a substantial fraction in the post-WW II boom, so there is a good historical precedent. And with its still-astronomical land prices and absurd laws to subsidize landowning and jack up prices, Japan could certainly benefit economically by rent recovery. Japan is about the size of California, but its aggregate land value is greater than aggregate US land value!

      Does anyone here know if there is an active geoist presence in Japan? Does anyone know someone who might know someone who has the ear of the new Democratic prime minister or his finance minister? I haven't been keeping up on Japanese politics lately, so I didn't see this change coming (and I'm skeptical that the Democratic Party is really different from the thoroughly crooked LDP that has held power since the Allied occupation ended). But if there is any chance to get a hearing for rent recovery in Japan, we should be jumping at it.

      http://ca.toolbar.yahoo.com