FW: Publication of Global Urban Development

  • Wetzel Dave
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2005
      Dear PI Advisory Board Colleagues:

      I am delighted to inform you that as of May 2, 2005, the
      Prague Institute has now published the inaugural issue of
      our twice yearly online magazine, Global Urban
      Development. The first issue contains a dozen excellent
      articles covering all of our major urban policy themes,
      written by Peter Hall, Eric Hobsbawm, Monika Jaeckel,
      Ricardo Montezuma, Geoffrey Nwaka, Donovan Rypkema, Molly
      Sheehan, Kaarin Taipale, Emiel Wegelin, Belinda Yuen,
      Muhammad Yunus, and myself. All of the authors are
      members of the PI Advisory Board of the PI Board of
      Directors. I want to thank all of the authors for
      contributing such valuable material, and also a great deal
      of thanks goes to my co-editor, PI President Nancy Sedmak.
      Please take the time to visit the newly restructured PI
      website (www.pragueinstitute.org), and read Global Urban
      Development. The next issue will be published online in
      November 2005, and the deadline for submitting articles in
      September 15, 2005.

      In order for Global Urban Development to succeed, it
      needs to be widely read and utilized. Therefore, its
      success depends on each and every one of you to do all of
      the following things:
      1) Talk up Global Urban Development. Refer to it and
      its various articles in your speeches and writings. Send
      emails recommending it to your colleagues and friends.
      2) Post a link to Global Urban Development on your
      organization's website, and encourage other relevant
      websites to establish links. 3) Write an article
      for an upcoming issue, recommend that colleagues submit
      articles, and also send us ideas for reprinting good
      recent articles.
      4) Identify potential funding sources for editing and
      publishing GUD. We did this first issue without any
      dedicated funding, but bearing the costs will become
      unsustainable in the long term without direct financial
      support.
      5) Read it thoroughly and send us your feedback. We
      would love to hear from all of you with suggestions for
      improvement, and hopefully encouraging words that you are
      generally pleased and proud with what the PI has
      accomplished in the case of GUD magazine. You can hit the
      "reply" button to email me, and also please send messages
      to Nancy at: nancysedmak@....

      Thank you very much. And when you write back to me,
      please let me know how you are doing in your own life and
      work. One of the difficulties of working with a group of
      wonderful colleagues from throughout the world is the lack
      of human contact on a regular basis. Sometime we lose
      touch, and email is at least one relatively easy way to
      stay connected.

      All the Best, Marc

      Dr. Marc A. Weiss
      Chairman and CEO
      Prague Institute for Global Urban Development
      Prague, Barcelona, Sydney, and Washington, DC