RE: [LandCafe] Re: Georgist fallacies

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 31, 2009

      I said:

      >Rent is an extrinsic value – it comes from outside
      >– from the millions of people in the community.

      Roy replied:

      “More accurately, it comes from the economic advantage
      conferred on the land's user by the services and
      infrastructure government provides,

      [The services and infrastructure are provided by the community. The ‘government’ merely manages things for the community. It has nothing that has not been provided by the community. Remove the community and Rent disappears no matter the services and infrastructure.]

      “the opportunities and amenities the community provides,”

      [exactly]

      “and the physical qualities nature provides, and for which prospective
      land users are consequently willing to pay.”

      [General “physical qualities” are probably why the community gathered there in the first place. Specific “physical qualities” have probably long since “merged with the soil” and are not an issue.]

      Harry

      ******************************

      Henry George School of Los Angeles

      Box 655  Tujunga  CA  91043

      Tel: 818 352-4141

      ******************************

      >Rent is an extrinsic value – it comes from outside
      >– from the millions of people in the community.

      More accurately, it comes from the economic advantage
      conferred on the land's user by the services and
      infrastructure government provides, the opportunities
      and amenities the community provides, and the physical
      qualities nature provides, and for which prospective
      land users are consequently willing to pay.

      >If that intrinsic value cannot be taken
      >advantage of, some arrangement might be made.

      For once, we appear to be on the same page: neither
      of us knows what you are talking about.

    • Roy Langston
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2009
        Harry Pollard wrote:

        >I said:

        >>Rent is an extrinsic value – it comes from outside
        >>– from the millions of people in the community.

        >Roy replied:

        >More accurately, it comes from the economic advantage
        >conferred on the land's user by the services and
        >infrastructure government provides,

        >[The services and infrastructure are provided by the
        >community. The ˜government" merely manages things
        >for the community. It has nothing that has not been
        >provided by the community. Remove the community and
        >Rent disappears no matter the services and
        >infrastructure.]

        The distinction between government and the community
        it governs is real and important, because the
        services and infrastructure government provides are
        products of deliberate policy, and are typically paid
        for by compulsory taxation.

        >the opportunities and amenities the community
        >provides,
        >
        >[exactly]

        But those opportunities and amenities arise from
        people's privately chosen actions in pursuit of
        their own interests. They are a side effect, not a
        deliberate choice, and are not funded by taxes.

        >and the physical qualities nature provides, and for
        >which prospective land users are consequently
        >willing to pay.

        >[General physical qualities are probably why the
        >community gathered there in the first place.

        But they do not apply to all land parcels equally.

        >Specific physical qualities have probably long
        >since merged with the soil and are not an issue.]

        No, they were always part of the "soil," and are
        most definitely an issue.