New Scientist: How the rich rule

  • scottb@xmission.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 11, 2005
      Since the teaser is essentially advertising, quoting it looks like
      "Fair Use" to me.

      Scott

      http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg18624940.600

      Article Preview
      How the rich rule
      Henry Law
      Magazine issue 2494

      It is very interesting that the wealth of the majority of people fits a
      curve that describes the energies of atoms in a gas (12 March, p 6), but
      there is no mystery here. The underlying reason for this skew was explained
      in 1879 by the economist Henry George, who showed it was caused by the
      conditions of land tenure.

      One way to understand what is happening is to imagine three people playing a
      game of Monopoly. When all the properties have been bought, a fourth player
      joins the game. He will inevitably be subject to unfair terms as, wherever
      he lands on the board, he has to pay rent to one of the other players.

      This is an accurate model of a key aspect of real economies. Those who do
      not own land have no option but to work for wages, which will be driven
      down to a minimum ...
      The complete article is 734 words long.
      To continue reading this article, subscribe to New Scientist. Get 4 issues
      of New Scientist magazine and instant access to all online content for only
      $4.95
      If you are in the UK please click here, if you are in Australia or New
      Zealand please click here.

      New Scientist premium content is available free to magazine subscribers

      Subscribe today at only $4.95 for your first 4 issues and get New Scientist,
      the world's leading science & technology news magazine delivered direct to
      your door every week

      As a magazine subscriber you will benefit from instant access to:
      the full text of this article
      all premium content on newscientist.com
      15 years of past issues of New Scientist via the online Archive
      Subscribe now

      © Copyright Reed Business Information Ltd.
      ---
    • Mark Porthouse
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 11, 2005
        This is in fact a letter from Henry Law of the 'Land Value Taxation
        Campaign' to New Scientist in response to an article analysing the odd
        distribution of wealth within society.

        The original article is available in full, even though Henry's response
        isn't:
        http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg18524904.300

        I only noticed Henry's letter today. It is the in the current edition (9th
        April) of New Scientist.

        Cheers,

        Mark