LVT gets a look-in

  • Wetzel Dave
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6 12:58 PM
      John Gummer is a former Minister for the Environment in the last
      Conservative Government.
      We recently shared a public platform at a conference and I subsequently met
      him about a month ago.

      He writes a weekly column in the Estates Gazette.
      I previously circulated my 4 page article published in EG on 12 May.
      I quote below an abstract from what he wrote on 19 March, (page 73) under
      the heading:

      "Labour waits to see how the land lies for taxation:
      Property taxes, ahoy!

      The signs are that Labour is gearing up for a fundamental change in land
      taxation, and should it win, we can expect a significant dose of development
      land tax............but it is by no means the only radical solution being
      pressed. Other Labour campaigners have been insisting that the housing
      problems will not be solved without wholesale changes designed to increase
      land supply. All these campaigners propose taxation changes designed to get
      at the profit derived from land price increases. There is growing support
      for site value rating and even for a shift in taxation to try to trap
      "unearned" location value. What was once a way-out concept connected to the
      social credit theory has gained a new lease of more respectable life.
      I am unconvinced that these more radical elements will gain acceptance but,
      nonetheless, taxes on land and property are very much on the present
      Government's agenda."

      Dave
      Dave Wetzel; Vice-Chair; Transport for London.