Got a nice plug in...

  • Jock Coats
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2005
      Tonight I was at a lecture by Lord Best of the Joseph Rowntree
      Foundation in the Linacre Lecture series down the hill in that
      ramshackle old university in Oxford.

      His lecture was a perfect exposition of the problems that face the
      housing market and the solutions that are very difficult to see
      happening (moving economic activity to less economically active area
      where housing in less of an issue, increasing densities, lowering
      underoccupancy and so on). It would be nice if he would let me have a
      copy of his lecture in writing and we could argue each point, but
      second or third question/comment I got in a nice plug for LVT.

      I was slightly surprised when he responded that JRF, whilst recognising
      that Joseph Rowntree himself was a fan of the George's Single Tax, felt
      that they should stop hurting their head banging on about LVT as its
      time was not yet come.

      How do we make headway if potentially influential allies are giving up?
      I had one of those "screaming" sessions - when you sit through someone
      explaining the problems whilst screaming on the inside that you know
      the answer. Interestingly there were quite a few nodding heads in the
      room as I mentioned it, but alas, I had to cut and run and not stay for
      any further discussion as I am on duty tonight and was already
      spreading my wealth by having to pay a student to cover the hall for
      the first hour of duty!

      I'm going to write to Richard Best to ask if he'll let me use the
      lecture as the start of "here's the answer now what's the question?"
      paper about LVT. That and the fact that he liked Community Land Trusts
      and Mutual Housing solutions and would like to fund some pilots (so I'm
      going to dive in there).

      Jock
      --
      J1e Morrell Hall, OXFORD, OX3 0BP, United Kingdom
      T: +44 1865 485019 F: +44 845 1275714 M: +44 7769 695767