Re: [LandCafe] Land rent figures needed

  • Jeffery J. Smith
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 6, 2008
      On Dec 6, 2008, at 11:11 AM, Matt Bieker wrote:

      Hi all. I've happened across estimates of land rent as a percentage
      of GDP before, but I can't remember where I've found them, and would
      like to avoid an exhaustive search if possible.

      Anyone have links which contain such estimates handy?

      I wrote an article that lists 50 such sites, if anyone's interested.

      SMITH, Jeffery J.
      President, Forum on Geonomics
      Share Earth's worth to prosper and conserve.

    • Wyn Achenbaum
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 6, 2008
        Jeff, I suspect one or two of us might want to see that list!

        Jeffery J. Smith wrote:
        On Dec 6, 2008, at 11:11 AM, Matt Bieker wrote:

        Hi all. I've happened across estimates of land rent as a percentage
        of GDP before, but I can't remember where I've found them, and would
        like to avoid an exhaustive search if possible.

        Anyone have links which contain such estimates handy?

        I wrote an article that lists 50 such sites, if anyone's interested.

        SMITH, Jeffery J.
        President, Forum on Geonomics
        jjs@geonomics. org; www.geonomics. org
        Share Earth's worth to prosper and conserve.

        --
        Wyn Achenbaum
        blogging at http://lvtfan.typepad.com/

        Fair Use Statement:
        This email may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in an effort to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc.  We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright
        owner.
      • Jeffery J. Smith
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 6, 2008
          On Dec 6, 2008, at 12:59 PM, Wyn Achenbaum wrote:

          Jeff, I suspect one or two of us might want to see that list!

          Wyn, I suspect you're right (as usual). If she is, anyone, just let me know, rather than me send an attachment to the whole list, unless there's overwhelming acclaim, like drafting HG to run for mayor of NYC.

          Wyn, can you tell if bankers are feeling humbled at all?

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 6, 2008
            Those who have factored assumed bonuses into their lifestyles certainly are feeling humbled, and scared, I suspect -- and grateful to still have their jobs, if they do.   I would have expected a lot of kids to be pulled out of private schools, but from what I hear, that isn't occurring so far, at least at the school our son attended. -- and applications are holding steady.

            But my sense is that there are a lot of bankers who have factored into their annual cost structure the assumption that they will receive at least some bonus money in January each year.  Their budgets will be constrained, to say the least.

            Most of them have not been through a business cycle before, much less a major meltdown caused, in part, by their business-school cohort!

            I suspect, too, that the lawyers' bonuses will be fine.

            I'd appreciate the file!

            Wyn

            Jeffery J. Smith wrote:
[...]

          • Edward Dodson
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 7, 2008
              Jeff, you wrote:

              Wyn, I suspect you're right (as usual). If she is, anyone, just let me know,
              rather than me send an attachment to the whole list, unless there's
              overwhelming acclaim, like drafting HG to run for mayor of NYC.

              Wyn, can you tell if bankers are feeling humbled at all?

              Ed here:
              Please send a copy to me as well, Jeff.

              Regarding your question to Wyn, many of my former colleagues in the
              community banking world are frustrated because while many of the big players
              were playing fast and loose, they were doing the right things -- and losing
              loan opportunities because people were lured into bad situations. Community
              banks and credit unions continued to serve their members, make loans wisely
              and remain profitable.
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 12, 2008

                Overwhelming acclaim!

                Harry Pollard