Re: [LandCafe] Re: The core money issue

  • Mark Monson
    Message 1 of 46 , Oct 31, 2008
      Roy Langston wrote:

      > Mark Monson wrote:
      >
      > >We can theorize all we like but putting reforms into
      > >action means reckoning with the tremendous power of the
      > >international money masters.
      >
      > The reform we propose -- the overthrow and permanent
      > extinction of the greatest evil in the history of the
      > world -- is already ambitious enough, and hard enough to
      > achieve. To freight it with extraneous reforms as too
      > many geoists seem to want to do will only make it harder.
      >
      > Yes, it is true that monetary reform will have to
      > accompany LVT, as I've demonstrated elsewhere: without
      > landowner privilege making people go deeply into debt
      > in order to escape permanent servitude, there will not
      > be enough borrowing to create the debt money needed to
      > accommodate economic growth. Therefore, LVT must be
      > accompanied (or even preceded) by abolition of the debt
      > money system and its replacement with debt-free money
      > spent into circulation by government in place of taxes.
      > There is no real problem with such a system as long as
      > the issuing authority is free from political
      > interference, and has as its principal goal the
      > maintenance of stable prices as measured by a fixed
      > basket of commodities.
      >
      > This reform, combined with rent recovery, will solve the
      > two over-arching problems that make lending money at
      > interest an instrument of robbery and oppression rather
      > than an ordinary commercial transaction:
      >
      > 1. That people are forced into debt if they wish to escape
      > permanent involuntary servitude to landowners;
      >
      > 2. And that a wealthy, privileged, parasitic elite of
      > private bankers and bank owners pockets the interest on
      > the money banks alone are privileged to create, but which
      > society needs if the economy is to continue functioning
      > properly.
      >
      > The idea of government and its courts no longer enforcing
      > contracts involving interest throws out the baby with the
      > bathwater, and if implemented would certainly do tremendous
      > economic damage. True, we already accept the principle
      > that government ought not to recognize or enforce certain
      > kinds of contracts, even leaving out issues of duress,
      > incompetence, fraud, etc. But it should be sufficient to
      > restrict enforcement of contracts requiring payment of
      > interest to judgments against the debtor's assets, ensuring
      > that he is not reduced to a condition equivalent to
      > involuntary servitude by continuous confiscation of his
      > wages or other income to satisfy a court judgment.

      That and more liberalized bankruptcy laws.

      > We have enough trouble being labeled -- and dismissed --
      > as Utopian cultists and crackpots without condemning
      > lending at interest as "usury."

      I condemn usury as defined as payment of interest on an unproductive
      loan. I think it is important to see the harm that usury does as it
      takes advantage of people's desperate circumstances. All these payday
      loan places springing up are vultures that prey on the poor. They
      should be suppressed by law. The credit card parasites also.

      Mark Monson

      Message 46 of 46 , Oct 31, 2008