Re:No ad hominems, please

  • Roy Langston
    Message 1 of 44 , Oct 30, 2008
      Harry Pollard wrote:

      >I'm sure that Roy will be pleased to see I changed
      >the subject line.

      Just couldn't resist indulging in another supercilious
      sneer, I see...

      >Let's pile on the mistakes we think others have made,
      >but keep addressing the subject rather than each other.

      Yes. Let's.

      >Let's have fun, learn something, and address the
      >subject, not the other writers.

      An admirable sentiment.

      But then, inexplicably, Harry wrote:

      >I said I almost never change subject lines. Apparently
      >I did about 9 months ago when I properly described "Roy".

      ??? "Properly described"???

      That is a gratuitous personal insult (or rather, it
      would be, if directed against anyone but me; as it is,
      it's just a "proper description," because as Harry and
      Dan have decided, my posts consist of nothing but
      "tantrums," "contradictions," and "crap" because of my
      "sophomoric" understanding of the issues).

      >Do you actually mean you have held on to these "insults"
      >for 9 months allowing them to smoulder in your mainframe.

      Of course not. I am just so evil and paranoid, my evil,
      paranoid juju spirit created an archive of messages on
      the LandCafe website, filled with fabricated content that
      makes it look as though others have posted the things
      I claim they posted. Obviously, no one could have been
      so offensive, irrational and dishonest as to actually
      post anything like the things I have quoted you saying.

      >Peculiar. You really should get a life.

      You, OTOH, really should look into a mirror the next time
      you use the word, "you" here for any purpose other than
      to identify the source of a direct, verbatim, in-context
      quote.

      >Or, you could stop the tantrums. Then it would be an insult.

      Let me guess: you have redefined the word, "tantrum" to mean
      "message that proves Harry Pollard wrong."

      >Try to be nice, stop calling people liars and worse.

      AFAIK I have not called anyone a liar here on the list.

      There is a difference between calling someone a liar
      and proving that they have made statements they know
      to be untrue with the intention of deceiving others.
      I decline to stop doing the latter, a stance that, yes,
      has got me banned from other lists for being "offensive."

      Sorry.

      >The "endless crap" one was probably not mine. I don't
      >use those words.

      Of course you don't, Harry, of course you don't. My
      evil, paranoid juju spirit just put that message in
      the LandCafe archive to make it look like you did.

      Allow me to ask the other members of the LandCafe list
      which they think is worse: the risible hypocrisy, or
      the utter shamelessness?

      Decisions, decisions....

      http://www.flickr.com/gift/
    • Roy Langston