Inglish

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 13 11:17 AM

      Subject:  English will be the official language

      The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the European Union rather than German, which was the other possibility.

      As part of the negotiations, the British Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5-year phase-in plan that would become known as "Euro-English".

      In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c".  Sertainly , this will make the sivil servants jump with joy.

      The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of "k".  This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have one less letter.

      There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with “f".  This will make words like fotograf 20% shorter.

      In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.

      Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling.

      Also, al wil agre that the horibl mes of the silent "e" in the languag is disgrasful and it should go away.

      By the 4th yer people wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v".

      During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensibl riten styl.

      Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech oza.  Ze drem of a united urop vil finali kum tru.

      Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in ze forst plas.

      If zis mad you smil , pleas pas on to oza pepl.

      ******************************

      Harry Pollard

      Henry George School of Los Angeles

      Box 655

      Tujunga  CA  91042

      (818) 352-4141

      ******************************

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 17 10:52 AM
        Emer,

        Why on earth should the European Union protect languages?

        Languages will be protected if people want to speak them. If
        you want Irish Gaelic to be "protected" then speak it along
        with other Irish men and women.

        Projects like this are not the concern of government and if
        they appear it is probably because one of the MPs has a pet
        project he would like the taxpayer to finance. On the other
        hand, I suppose if they give their attention to this kept
        from doing more harm in other areas.

        The US dollar is still the reserve currency over most of the
        world, though its recent fall from grace must be giving many
        nations conniptions. The euro is holding up and, if it
        becomes a reserve currency, it will be because various
        nations change to it from dollars. However, there are
        problems with trying to do this, so for a while the dollar
        is likely to remain the reserve currency.

        I doubt that the ordinary American cares one way or the
        other about the "ordinary European's" support for social and
        environmental measures.

        I do suspect that in the welfare states the ordinary
        European is tied to the system because there is no
        alternative. (Those with better incomes try to get out of
        the system -- the reason perhaps why so many Brits go
        private in the health system.)

        So 'ordinary Europeans' probably like the social systems
        because it's all they've got. But, there are dangers

        De Tocqueville made the point well when referring to the
        English Poor Law of the early19th century. He pointed out
        that while many English people at the beginning of the 19th
        century
        were poor, the Poor Law turned many of them into paupers.

        I suppose by "red tape" you refer to the bloated
        bureaucracies in Europe. In that respect, you are no
        different from the equally bloated bureaucracies in the US.

        Harry