Re:RSF's $40,000 // Monopoly history // Intellectual Property issues

  • Roy Langston
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2008
      Richard wrote:

      >As a private operating foundation RSF has moved to
      >funding projects with actual products paid for mostly at
      >the time of delivery.

      Such a businesslike operating model is not necessarily the
      way Georgist organizations should go, either. If there
      were any profits to be made teaching Georgist theory,
      someone would be making them.

      >Too bad that that wasn't the policy back then. It's water
      >over the dam, and it was a mistake but one made in good
      >faith by RSF.

      I assumed good faith at the RSF (something I do not assume
      at the Lincoln Institute). The question was how much
      wasting of endowment income still goes on at Georgist
      organizations, in good faith or otherwise. Michael Hudson
      seems to think it is quite a lot, and he is certainly in a
      better position to know than I am.

      >The Landlord's Game - Monopoly - Brer Fox an' Brer Rabbit
      >(the Scottish Landlord's Game variant from 1913) history
      is >interesting. It's not just an irrelevant sidelight.

      The game has some relevance. The inventor's bio, not so
      much.

      >Important insights into intellectual property issues
      >display themselves as this story continues to play itself
      >out - now for over 100 years.

      Whatever is relevant to IP theory in Lizzie Magee's life
      can probably be stated on one page. $1K would be a lot to
      pay for a page of biographical info, let alone $40K.