More left-right foolishness

  • Peter Bjørn Perlsø
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 25, 2008
      Well your chapter 15 only enforces my point about the left-right spectrum being on par with religions dogma - "we" are right, the "others" are wrong. "We" will make paradise on Earth, the others not.

      So far this thread has presented 3 or 4 different definitions of and proposals to what left and right means, and that precisely enforces my point that it is perhaps not a meaningless spectrum, but it is utterly useless in political discourse.

      Throw it on the garbage heap where it belongs. It *may* have had a justification in describing the seating arrangements in the old French parliament from whence it came, but trying to use it in a useful and constructive manner today where we have 200 years of ideological and political evolution between us and the origins of the spectrum - is futile and outright idiotic.

      The Nolan Chart (charting political vs economic freedoms) and the Georgist variation (ownership of labor products vs ownership of natural resources) of it is more useful, or at least, a good deal less wrong and less polarizing. Plus it has far more descriptive power than trying to fit each and every political ideology into a one-dimensional axis.

      If you guys insist on trying to say that "we" or the entire georgist community or whoever is this or that place on the left-right axis, you're really only throwing spanners in the works - one thing is certain and that is that you are NOT creating mutual understanding, you are NOT unifying for a common cause, and you are NOT being rational, but you ARE wasting valuable time and effort.

      Get over it.

      --
      vh, Peter Perlsø - web: http://titancity.com - tel: +45  2685 5909 - Skype: neglesaks

      "Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience." -- John Locke, 1690

      On Jan 24, 2008, at 16.17 , Julien Gross wrote:

      Following my enthusiastic support to your definition of the indentification of the left or right  - I'm taking the liberty of invading your space by citing as a corollary my verse I sent to the Madrid Conference a few years ago.