Re: Distribution, home ownership

  • Roy Langston
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 19, 2008
      Mark Monson wrote:

      >So, in each of these examples, it wasn't great men acting
      >in solidarity with the people,

      Correct.

      >but rather great men seeking their own gain that brought
      >about improvements?

      That is a blatant false dichotomy fallacy. Great men can
      act in solidarity with the people while seeking their own
      gain (think of Napoleon), and they can act independently of
      the people for the people's benefit rather than their own
      (e.g., the British administrators in Hong Kong). And many
      other permutations thereof. Personally, I think a lot of
      human progress is made because a few highly capable people
      like to solve problems. They just enjoy the process, and
      their motives are no more profound than that.

      >And therefore the lesson to be learned is that
      >self-seeking is the solution?

      Self-seeking -- or more accurately, greed -- is the
      problem; but that's a lesson learned more from history's
      failures than its successes.