FW: Darrow Round Oil Cloth Rules

  • Wetzel Dave
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2004
      nb
      Monopoly was invented as "The Landlords Game.See:
      http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa121997.htm

      On January 5, 1904, Lizzie J. Magie, a Quaker woman from Virginia, received
      a patent for a board game. Lizzie Magie belonged to a tax movement led by
      Philadelphia-born Henry George; the movement supported the theory that the
      renting of land and real estate produced an unearned increase in land values
      that profited a few individuals (landlords) rather than the majority of the
      people (tenants). Henry George proposed a single federal tax based on land
      ownership believing a single tax would discourage speculation and encourage
      equal opportunity.

      Lizzie Magie wanted to use her game, which she called "The Landlord's Game"
      as a teaching device for George's ideas. The Landlord's Game and Monopoly
      are very similar, except all the properties in Magie's game are rented not
      acquired as in Monopoly and instead of names like "Park Place" and "Marvin
      Gardens" one finds "Poverty Place", "Easy Street" and "Lord Blueblood's
      Estate". The objectives of each game are also very different. In Monopoly
      the idea of the game is to buy and rent or sell property so profitably that
      one becomes the wealthiest player and eventually monopolist. In The
      Landlord's Game, the object was to illustrate how (under the system of land
      tenure) the landlord had an advantage over other enterprisers and to show
      how the single tax could discourage speculation.
      .