Re: [LandCafe] Birthright in Law

  • Terence Bendixson
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2004
      What about looking at changes in the distribution of land in a sample of
      local authorities in England over the past 150 years? What I would expect to
      emerge would be the shrinking ownership of 'landed families' as they sold
      off property to cover debts (or were affected by leasehold enfranchisement),
      rising municipal and other public ownership (council houses, hospitals,
      roads, armed forces etc.) and, through a shift from rented back-to-backs to
      suburban ownership, a steady increase in popular land ownership. It would
      then be interesting to extrapolate the revealed trends against a background
      of varying assumptions about incomes, housing densities and other factors.
      LVT could then be applied to those scenarios.

      Terence Bendixson, Secretary
      Independent Transport Commission
      University of Southampton
      c/o 39 Elm Park Gardens, London SW10 9QF
      Tel 020 7352 3885