Re: [LandCafe] deflation

  • Mark Porthouse
    Message 1 of 192 , Nov 1, 2007
      Scott Bergeson said the following on 31/10/2007 22:00:
      > Quoting Mark Porthouse on Sat, 27 Oct 2007 21:40:59 +0100:
      > ___Mark___
      > You'll have to flesh this out to mean something.
      > Who was selling the T-Bills? Do you mean the
      > Treasury's sale of T-Bills?
      > -----
      >
      > Yes, these were Treasury new issues.
      >
      > ___Mark___
      > Was it the Govt. propping up the economy (by infusing
      > credit into the system) as per the Japanese example?
      > -----
      >
      > Not at all. A contraction was underway.

      It sounds to me like the govt. were trying to give away money to counter
      the contraction.

      > I saw it in a text for the "Economic History of the
      > United States" course I took to meet the State of
      > Utah's "American Institutions" requirement at the
      > University of Utah. I tried Googling it, and didn't
      > find much, though this premium is called an "agio",
      > and apparently mature T-bills traded for some time
      > after maturity before they were cashed in, so acted
      > somewhat like large denomination FRNs. (T-bills
      > then were bearer instruments.)

      Who knows what happened?! Not to worry.

      Cheers,

      Mark
    • Scott Bergeson
      Message 192 of 192 , Nov 2, 2007
        Quoting Dan Sullivan on Fri, 02 Nov 2007 18:28:56 -0400:

        ___DS___
        Everyone on this list knows that deflation is not
        the fall in prices of some things, such as computers,
        relative to other things, such as oil. It is the
        fall in value of all things, or of things generally,
        in relation to money.
        -----

        Got it. Despite what the Constitution for the
        United States of America in Article I Section
        10 says, money is not a "Thing". (Apologies
        to any list subscribers in nations defining
        "money" as immaterial.)

        Scott
        ---
        Please continue your regularly scheduled bickering.