RE: [LandCafe] Re: LT: The debate continues

  • Paul Metz
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 22, 2007
      Dear friends and/or colleagues,

      You can also discuss genetic engineering, biodiversity depletion, the many wars in the world and much more.
      I believe, however, that in this Landcafe we try to discuss land rent and its fairer distribution.

      When a connection with global warming or other debates can be made, fine. But debating other issues as such, not here please.

      Paul Metz

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 27, 2007

        Paul,

        As you probably know I regard the economic consequences of LVT far more important than its revenue.

        Of your three subjects, both biodiversity depletion and war are very much the result of poor land tenure.

        Bertrand Russell said quite clearly that all wars are fought over land – no matter the supposed reason. The best way to destroy the habitats is to allow our cities inefficiently to sprawl across the countryside.

        There again, land monopoly keeping land unused and unavailable forces people to go into the rain forests and other virgin territory looking for a place to settle – even as Brazil,, for example has an area about the size of western Europe virtually unused.

        Harry

        ******************************

        Harry Pollard

        Henry George School of Los Angeles

        Box 655 Tujunga CA 91042

        818 352-4141

        --

[...]

        Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
        Checked by AVG Free Edition.

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 28, 2007
          Harry,

          I appreciate you also prefer us to focus on LVT. We fully agree, I did not start other issues.
          But: land should not exclude other natural resources from correct pricing, if necessary through taxation.