Re: [LandCafe] Re: transport planning - time savings and land value increases arise

  • Jeffery J. Smith
    Message 1 of 50 , Aug 10, 2007
      On Aug 9, 2007, at 12:16 AM, Wetzel Dave wrote:

      > THE introduction of a homestead allowance is recommended by the Labour
      > Land Campaign for the UK because we face huge opposition  from
      > householders to the idea of LVT.
      >
      > We see the Homestead Allowance as being similar to the personal
      > allowance given as a tax-free relief on the first £5k of income for UK
      > income tax purposes.
      >
      > THE allowance would only apply to one home worth less than £2m pounds.
      >
      > It might be say £1k per property.
      >
      > If it is not increased over the years then inflation would reduce it
      > so that eventually it would whither on the vine.

      While not above political expediency myself, and it's hard to know
      without a survey or cherrette, my bet is that trying to cuddle up to
      homeowners by excusing them of their responsibility to community can
      only keep us further from recovering and sharing rent, what's already
      all of ours.

      And, jeez, you sent a hugely long message of repetition after
      repetition to delete (as I've done here). Please, please, please, some
      consideration.

      SMITH, Jeffery J.
      President, Forum on Geonomics
      jjs@...; www.geonomics.org
      Share Earth's worth to prosper and conserve.
      Message 50 of 50 , Aug 18, 2007

        Well said!

        Harry

        Henry George School of Social Science